Completely new to Wine creation - Little advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neoburner

Reaction score
Hey all

Had a hunt around the forums and got some great tips already.

The only one I have is what Wine kit to grab and start on, I have got this coming from ebay: 180933364059

Sorry for the item number but can't do the link yet.

Wilko do the Elderflower/Rose kits but I think the DJ is a little too small for it.

Any ideas where to get a good step by step kit to see how this goes?

Any help would be great

Thanks

Neo

Personally, I would use it to start a WOW (Wurzels Orange Wine) - you'll need a carton of cheap orange juice, a carton of cheap white or red grape juice (depending on whether you want a white or rose wine), a bag of sugar and some wine yeast.

A lot cheaper than a kit wine, as easy, and for my money, a lot better tasting too. Search for WOW recipe and you'll find loads (including one in my blog - details below).

After about 3 months in the bottle, you'll have a white/rose that's comparable with a £4-5 supermarket bottle, for around 50p a bottle.

Am I being stupid or is adding white wine to the process defeating what the creation is about?

Told you... n00b lol

I started on a WOW last week. Very little trouble at all :) and everyone here seems to love em :D
It's just grape juice and oj. So anything go wrong it's less than 2 quid for a new batch.

Neoburner said:
...is adding white wine to the process defeating what the creation is about?l

Eh? No, you are adding grape juice, not wine...

Literally a case of bunging both cartons of juice in the bucket with 2L of water, 700g of sugar, a cup of very strong tea (for tannin) and the yeast.

Leave it for 5 days, and add another litre of water, then leave for two weeks and syphon into the demijohn to get it off the dead yeast, and leave it there for a month or so before bottling it.

No wine involved other than that which you end up with!

As with all wines though, they are a lot better with age - at least three months I would say as a minimum for the wine to lose any yeasty aroma and for the alcohol to mellow, otherwise it can have a bit of a vodka-ey aftertaste.

Hi guys

Just a quick one, I got my wilco wine kit home started to follow the guide and lo and behold some things were missing, it was the yeast and nutrients and the finer as well, now I'm going to go back tomorrow and ask for a replacement of them but because I didn't notice until I filled the bottle I now have the sugar water and syrup just sat there, will it harm it just there, it is corked and I have the water thing in the top to stop air getting in, can I just add the yeast and bits tomorrow when I get them?

Thanks

Neo

Tomorrow should be fine :thumb:

Any longer and I might start to get worried, a jar of sweet fruity liquid is just screaming out for infection from airborne yeasts or other less desirable organisms, the best way to protect it is to infect it with your own choice of organism, namely a wine yeast.

Hi Neo

Someone posted something about missing items before regarding a Wilko,s kit.
have you looked in the Lid ??
behind the cardboard ring is where the yeast and other items are.

:lol: That certainly might explain it.

Lesson learned: Always check kit contents before leaving the shop.

I've been caught out before with yeast sachet missing from kit beers - not too much of a problem because the usual advice from this forum seems to be “chuck it away and use something better”.

Ohhh lol
Go and give them hell !

If i remember rightly there,s a couple of quids worth in the lid , Nutrient, yeast, finning,s and stabilizer

Phil Aberaman said:
Ohhh lol
Go and give them hell !

If i remember rightly there,s a couple of quids worth in the lid , Nutrient, yeast, finning,s and stabilizer

Yea should be... will see what happens, thing is I cant take anything back as the rest is used lol

Will see what I get out of them!

Got my replacements... so will get home.. add... shake a bit and hope for the best!!

Tidy ! glad you was able to sort it.
Makes you think where your additives went.

You should have offered them a couple of pounds for the kit they had to cannabis lol :D

Ok its under way...

My second kit turnt up and i'm dying to get another underway and was going to try the WOW that everyone raves about.

My only issue is with the little extras I need such as

1 tsp Pectolase - see below
Tannin - see below
1 tsp Glycerine (optional)
Yeast & Nutrient - see below

Now do you guys have a place to grab this stuff? Online order or is it in a UK sainsburys/tescos etc?

My Next gallons going to be a wow (Moleys recipe)
I got all the bits from Wilkos Merthyr,
apart from the Glycerine, im struggling to find that at our local Asda/Tesco

Back