Conditioning Temp

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

photek1000

Reaction score
The only space I have at home for bottle conditioning is under the stairs, I took a temperature reading under there this morning and it is around 15°c is this going to be too cold to get the beer carbonated?

I looked at a couple of bottles add there looks be a small amount of sediment already dropping out, and if I invert and right a bottle I can see bubbles rising, so I can assume that some carbonation is happening.

I this going to be a case of a longer time under the stairs than the two weeks I was planning, or do I need to find a way to warm them up, blankets or something.

Definitely need to get a brew fridge in the new year, temperature control is turning me OCD.

Sounds like its fine, you could buy a little heater to bring up temps to around 20c which could help? Like you said, its happening but slowly... :thumb:

after priming the beer needs a couple of weeks in the warmth for the yeast to work on the sugar. It then needs to be cool for a week or two for the CO2 produced to be absorbed into the beer
As close to the above as you can manage depending on space you have available...cooler will as said, just take longer

Ok, good, so it will happen, but more at it's own pace, I hate not having the spaces required, but hey ho got to live with what you've got.

After a couple weeks I think I will start to move them to the cool in a staggered approach to try and see where we are at in carbonation terms, moving them all after 3 weeks in the warm(ish).

Things for next time though, definitely going to rack to secondary for a week before bottling to drop some of the sediment out prior to the bottle, and get a fridge for temp control, then find somewhere to hide it so it's not in the way in the garage.

I have pressure gauges fitted to my King Kegs and notice that after carbing and then chilling to 12 degrees for conditioning, the pressure still builds (albeit slowly). Not sure at what temperature the yeast stops working though.

If your keeping them under the stairs thats ok.....put them into boxes covered with insulating material...blankets/ newspapers etc they will be fine

They are already in Boxes, well all but Six are, ran out of boxes, but only a towel under and over the top, I'll have a root around for a blanket or two and put them to bed properly.

photek1000 said:
definitely going to rack to secondary for a week before bottling to drop some of the sediment out prior to the bottle
This is a popular misconception and will actually delay clearing rather than speed it up. You're better off just leaving it alone for longer, preferably in the cool.
photek1000 said:
They are already in Boxes
Unless your beer is exothermic, i.e. producing its own heat, wrapping them in a blanket won't warm them up. It may maintain a more consistent temperature but it sounds like you could do with a heater in your cupboard.

jonnymorris said:
photek1000 said:
definitely going to rack to secondary for a week before bottling to drop some of the sediment out prior to the bottle
This is a popular misconception and will actually delay clearing rather than speed it up. You're better off just leaving it alone for longer, preferably in the cool.

In Your Honest Opinion :whistle:

I disagree. As long as the beer has settled after fermentation ie 3-4 days after end of fermentation, then the yeast will have dropped the majority of its yeast. If you then carefully transfer to a secondary it will continue to clear but the bulk of the yeast and trub will have been taken out so when you then transfer to a bottling bucket after a week in the secondary no or minimal amounts of yeast will go in and you will have clear beer. Thats how I do it and I have never had cloudy beer or an infection from transferring to secondary. However on the 3-4 times beer has been left in the primary I have had infections.

By the way Johnny how many times have you tried using and secondary and what was the results. :whistle: :whistle:

My opinion and that of White and Zainisheff in their book, Yeast. Well worth a read.

I have used secondary but stopped doing so when I realised it made little difference (in my experience).

Nothing wrong with 15C the yeast will still work and condition your beer.
You will always have difference of opinion with secondary and primary the only judge whether it is worthwhile will be yourself.

I'm going to try a secondary FV for a week on my next brew and then compare between the two, that's about the only way to get a fair gauge, well reasonably fair as it won't be the same beer and I'm hoping for a fridge next time for full temp control through fermentation and conditioning phases.

jonnymorris said:
My opinion and that of White and Zainisheff in their book, Yeast. Well worth a read.

I have used secondary but stopped doing so when I realised it made little difference (in my experience).

I have read it :lol: and a good book it is but again that is only twos people opinion on the subject.

Just wanted your to clarify it was your opinion.

graysalchemy said:
I have read it :lol: and a good book it is but again that is only twos people opinion on the subject.
Me, White and Zainisheff. I make that three.

jonnymorris said:
graysalchemy said:
Me, White and Zainisheff. I make that three.

If you read what I actually said I was implying White and Zainisheff.

You and me will never agree on this one, but when ever I don't use a secondary or leave something in an the primary FV I always pick up an infection so to me that is enough empirical proof why i should use a secondary, but you always say there is a risk of infection by moving but you have no first hand experience of this only the published viewpoint of two authors in one book. :hmm: :hmm:

It's not so much the risk of infection that puts me off racking to secondary, it's the pointlessness of doing so. In my opinion.

My experience is of never having had an infection in primary.

To the OP: try it and see what works for you.

But Johnny you used to always bang on about increased risk of infection if I recal have you changed your view point? :hmm:

Fiddling unnecessarily will always increase the risk but I don't see this as a particularly big problem. Maybe I'm just lazy but I find leaving it alone works for me. That's what I'm always 'banging on' about.

graysalchemy said:
But Johnny you used to always bang on about increased risk of infection if I recal have you changed your view point? :hmm:

In fairness, it may have been me 'banging on' about possible increased risk on infection recently, with you two somewhere else. Maybe Johnny has too some time... anyway, start the car...

I never bother with secondary simply because the yeast always packs down into a firm cake in the bottom of the primary FV.

Fullers yeast is especially solid. I could pick up the fermenter and upend it into the keg and the yeast cake still wouldn't budge.

Also I'm too lazy to clean and sanitise another bucket ;-)

Latest posts

Back