confused about my FG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattybabsy

Regular.
Reaction score
Folks

Was going to bottle AG#3 tomorrow- a Belgian Trippel fermented with harvested westmalle yeast

fermentation was quick and agressive and it tastes great. went down from 1.077 to 1.002!!

anyways, the grav has been the same for past few days and I'm quite surprised by how low it went. was about to move it downstairs to settle for a bit before bottling tomorrow and noticed that there was still a lot of krausen on top and what looks like bubbles at high fermentation.

normally, in past experience, that stuff has fallen back into the beer by the time I've bottled. I've rechecked by hydro settings and even took a sample from the top of the beer to check grav (normally I take it from tap at bottom). All results are as they should be

Any thoughts?

thanks

Matthew

Things to me are saying Wild yeast infection. The fact its gone so low and still looks like its fermenting are two causes of wild yeast. I don't know much about Belgian Yeasts are they top cropping?? would they ever go down so low?? I'd get it cool whatever and try to knock the yeast down abit.

hmmm, might be

temp didnt go too nuts for a belgian- no higher than 26 really. not sure how low they normally go, i was surprised. tastes and smells great though. exactly what I was looking for

mattybabsy said:
hmmm, might be

temp didnt go too nuts for a belgian- no higher than 26 really. not sure how low they normally go, i was surprised. tastes and smells great though. exactly what I was looking for

Have you tested your hydro in water by any chance? It should read 1.0 in water IIRC.

The water needs to be at the correct temp for your hydrometer as well. Most are calibrated to 1.000 at 20c I believe.

If it tastes great and the gravity has been the same for a few days, then I can't see why you wouldn't be able to bottle it. If it's some form of infection then you'll probably find out in a few days when it starts blowing bottles, at which point I'd bin it. Otherwise leave it, give it a few months and try it. What's the worst that could happen?

yeah hydro was calibrated correctly. checked with my belgian brewer friend and he said no worries. could poss just be the westmalle strain

If you dropped that low then you have bacteria in the brew. From 1.075 sachramycies (brewer's yeast) can only attenuate down to a max of 1.019. Past that the yeast are exhausted, the simple sugars they are able to consume along with the oxygen is gone, and most importantly a Belgian ale strain harvested from a bottle and not built up in a starter will die in alcohol above 8%. However, wild yeast and bacteria probably obtained in your harvesting adventure can consume more complex dextrose and will continue to ferment. Congratulations, you've created a wild brew. I'm surprised it's not super sour or generally funky, though it is a Belgian. I'd personally let it finish, bottle in the really thick Belgian beer bottles, cork them, and put a wire basket on them. Age it out for a year or two and you'll probably have something pretty delightful.

Latest posts

Back