Mold growth? Or yeast rafts?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norwich_Nanobrewery

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've brewed mainly from kits in the past but started recently on a first attempt with extract brewing. Run into something new for me (photos attached):

I have about 18L fermenting in a dark corner at a consistent 19 degrees (Celsius). Been there for six days, tomorrow will be a week. Went to have a peek in the top to see if all's going well - looked in to find a lot of activity floating at the top. I expected to find yeast products - but there are also smaller white spots (some a little bluer). Reminded me instantly of mold that you would see on old food.

There is no bad smell however, all smells very normal. Read up online to see if there have been any similar experiences - I've not found found any quite like this however. Can anyone identify what I think may be mold? And if so, are we passed the point of no return? Or can this be salvaged?

Appreciated in a advance! Let me know if you need if you need more info.

Thanks,
NN

Attachments

• IMG_20230710_145450537[1].jpg
    IMG_20230710_145450537[1].jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20230710_145502467[1].jpg
    IMG_20230710_145502467[1].jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230710_145517330[1].jpg
    IMG_20230710_145517330[1].jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 0
Hi all,

I've brewed mainly from kits in the past but started recently on a first attempt with extract brewing. Run into something new for me (photos attached):

I have about 18L fermenting in a dark corner at a consistent 19 degrees (Celsius). Been there for six days, tomorrow will be a week. Went to have a peek in the top to see if all's going well - looked in to find a lot of activity floating at the top. I expected to find yeast products - but there are also smaller white spots (some a little bluer). Reminded me instantly of mold that you would see on old food.

There is no bad smell however, all smells very normal. Read up online to see if there have been any similar experiences - I've not found found any quite like this however. Can anyone identify what I think may be mold? And if so, are we passed the point of no return? Or can this be salvaged?

Appreciated in a advance! Let me know if you need if you need more info.

Thanks,
NN
I would just go through the process you normally follow, except that if it starts to smell, try tasting a small sample and if it is obviously off, just sterilise anything it has touched.

Thanks for the tips guys!

I've checked it again today - looks like the yeast clumps are the same size but what I suspected to be mold has grown, and some is more obviously blue now - not inviting at all.

It does appear to be all floating, can't see anything beneath. No new or change in smell. Yet to try it, I think as it's only been there a week now so I'm hardly expecting a perfect taste anyway..

Any similar experiences or actions?

Attachments

• IMG_20230711_143227510[1].jpg
    IMG_20230711_143227510[1].jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 0
Where are you with it? Has it finished primary? I would gently syphon it off. Mould is a surface issue, so leave it behind. Then get some sugar in either as priming or just to get going again.

When bottling make a mess. Foaming over the bottles will maker sure it is not carried in

It is not a disaster, but imo needs dealing with appropriately.

How long has it been on the go?

Where are you with it? Has it finished primary? I would gently syphon it off. Mould is a surface issue, so leave it behind. Then get some sugar in either as priming or just to get going again.

When bottling make a mess. Foaming over the bottles will maker sure it is not carried in

It is not a disaster, but imo needs dealing with appropriately.

How long has it been on the go?
It's been in the fermenter about a week, still appeared to be fermenting this morning - my guess is still in primary however.

Definitely intended to add sugar in the next stage. I normally syphon to a keg as opposed to bottles.

Thanks for the tips guys!

I've checked it again today - looks like the yeast clumps are the same size but what I suspected to be mold has grown, and some is more obviously blue now - not inviting at all.

It does appear to be all floating, can't see anything beneath. No new or change in smell. Yet to try it, I think as it's only been there a week now so I'm hardly expecting a perfect taste anyway..

Any similar experiences or actions?
Can I change my initial answer :roll:
The blue don't look good, but follow the good advice above , many a brew has been recovered from worse

Nobody mentioned chucking. You did that 🤣🤣🤣

Do you make blue beer often?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230712-080716_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20230712-080716_Brave.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 0
The air lock is not necessary ** IF ** the fermentation got going quickly. But I like your thinkingi wondered if if we spray malt that didn't fully dissolve?

How does it taste.

Looking at the first photo in the bucket. There's a very large head space.
Did you ferment under an air lock?
Unfortunately not, I'm using a 10 year old fermenting bucket from Wilko's https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-fermenting-bin-lid-25l/p/0022555 - doesn't have the space to install one.

Moving up to a carboy next time I think, no doubt makes a difference.

I extracted it today to a keg now, as MashBag suggested - spooned off the top stuff. It was mainly attached to yeast clumps, nothing spotted when siphoning.

The air lock is not necessary ** IF ** the fermentation got going quickly. But I like your thinkingi wondered if if we spray malt that didn't fully dissolve?

How does it taste.
Tastes a little sour, however sugar hadn't been added yet. Didn't taste 'off.' Colour was what I wanted.

For anyone interested in its progress, we're 20 days later and no sign of any further issues - it's stayed good and proper-beery..

Thanks for all your help again! 🍻

Back