Connical Fermenter?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simon04

Reaction score
Hello,

Just wondered if anybody has experience with these please??

I like the look of them and it seems a good idea. Are they really that much better than the ordinary fermentation bucket?

Thanks.

Hello,

Just wondered if anybody has experience with these please??

I like the look of them and it seems a good idea. Are they really that much better than the ordinary fermentation bucket?

Thanks.
I have and use the plastic one called fast fermenter and there is a thread on it that I did the review on

Thanks for the info. I will check it out!

I'm considering an upgrade 😀

Thanks for the info. I will check it out!

I'm considering an upgrade 😀
what I will say about the plastic fast fermenter us if you can hang it on a wall with the supplied brackets near to your water supply its the dogs, but unfortunately I am not able to do that,hence the cube build and stand

I've used SS conical fermenters before and they look really nice and shiny. They are better over plastic but not necessarily over glass. I guess where they come into their own is if you are doing bigger brews and want more reliable fermentations, as glass doesn't come much bigger than about 25litres.

Also the Conicals I was using had bottom drain taps for yeast and beer which was useful, but I believe fast ferment has the same. From what I've read fast ferment is pretty good.

I've used SS conical fermenters before and they look really nice and shiny. They are better over plastic but not necessarily over glass. I guess where they come into their own is if you are doing bigger brews and want more reliable fermentations, as glass doesn't come much bigger than about 25litres.

Also the Conicals I was using had bottom drain taps for yeast and beer which was useful, but I believe fast ferment has the same. From what I've read fast ferment is pretty good.

Thanks. I had my eye on the fast ferment.... I'm afraid it has to be plastic for a poor man like me :lol:

As much as I'd like some stainless kit, I'm going to make do on a budget! Though hopefully I can improve things a little.

Look at the SS brewbucket master (with the thermowell)...not that much more than plastic conicals and good value for money i.m.o. I continue to find the Chronicle Conical gives fast ultra reliable fermentations (assuming you oxygenate the wort properly). I'm a convert.

I have and use the plastic one called fast fermenter and there is a thread on it that I did the review on
I like the idea that it avoids racking several times, plus the oxygen exposure and sanitising required every time.

It sounds like there are some drawbacks. Is the non-sealing a great problem?

Look at the SS brewbucket master (with the thermowell)...not that much more than plastic conicals and good value for money i.m.o. I continue to find the Chronicle Conical gives fast ultra reliable fermentations (assuming you oxygenate the wort properly). I'm a convert.
It is tempted, but I'm only doing small batches, say 15 to 23L. Though I am looking for improvements where possible.

the max vol for the brewbucket is 23ltrs so 15-23 litre batches would be ideal....though I checked on the Malt Miller site and its out of stock. Paying extra for the thermowell and thermometer is well worth it i.m.o since the temp inside the fermenter can be 3 or 4 degree above ambient for the first couple of days fermentation , so is good to see that and put the fermenter in a cooler room or adjust brew fridge as appropriate.

the max vol for the brewbucket is 23ltrs so 15-23 litre batches would be ideal....though I checked on the Malt Miller site and its out of stock. Paying extra for the thermowell and thermometer is well worth it i.m.o since the temp inside the fermenter can be 3 or 4 degree above ambient for the first couple of days fermentation , so is good to see that and put the fermenter in a cooler room or adjust brew fridge as appropriate.

I use the Maltmiller a fair bit. I guess you mean the 26.3 litre capacity unit at £165?

It does look a nice piece of kit, but I'm wondering if it has the same advantage as the ball on the fast ferment?

I use the Maltmiller a fair bit. I guess you mean the 26.3 litre capacity unit at £165?

It does look a nice piece of kit, but I'm wondering if it has the same advantage as the ball on the fast ferment?
The plastic fast fermenter and stand cost me £118 delivered, looked at this at the time and really wish I had plumped for it now, dunno how much delivery is though,is it an american import as you are looking at £35 delivery from the states and I dunno if there are import duty too,the fast ferment does a good job and took a lot of cleaning/ soaking to rid the plastic after taste,on to my 4th brew with it now and like I said in the review of it you won't get an air tight seal I even purchased an extra O ring to sit on top of the flat O ring in the cap and still can't get the bubbler to plop

I rang The Malt Miller about three weeks ago. They are expecting an SS Brewtech delivery during April.

As I understand it, they are the only UK sellers. Brew bucket is next on my list, once the dust has settled following my recent brew kettle/induction hob purchase :whistle:

I use the Maltmiller a fair bit. I guess you mean the 26.3 litre capacity unit at �£165?

Yes... approx 7 US gallons like my Chronicle, but that's to the brim, the graduations only go up to 6 US gallons so 23ltrs is the safe max brew size i.m.o. to leave a space for krausen. The brewbucket at £165 is OK, but I'd go for the brewmaster bucket for £185 which has the added thermowell and digital thermometer. I've found I only dump/harvest the yeast after I've transferred the fermented wort for bottling.' Because its conical the wort only has a limited surface area of contact wiht the yeast so no probs there, and you could still harvest with a sterile scoop form the brewbucket. Quality is good.... Chronicle gives you more options (bottom valve, bigger ball valves etc) but is a lot lot more expensive.

I wonder if at any point they will add the detachable trub collector that the plastic conical has. I think that's a really clever way of getting the beer off the trub, does anyone have a fermentor with the tap at the very bottom to drain the trub to say how well that works.

I wonder if at any point they will add the detachable trub collector that the plastic conical has. I think that's a really clever way of getting the beer off the trub, does anyone have a fermentor with the tap at the very bottom to drain the trub to say how well that works.

On a conical it's not necessary. You just open the valve at the bottom and dump all the trub out.

Latest posts

Back