Converting My Boiler To Electric.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle_T

The Essex Brewer
Reaction score
Hello all,

After a short break from brewing to move job and house, I am going to get back to brewing, however, my new landlord has said I canno't use my gas burner in the garage or indeed the house.

This leads me to my predicament, I have been toying with the idea of buying the Electrim thermostat and element replacements from the old interweb and cutting a hole in my pot and doing a little bodge jobbing but there seem to be a lot of issues about it maintaining desired temperatures and boil cut outs, the latter being bypassed rather easily.

The other option is the good old kettle element fitting, fairly straight forward it seems, however, my boiler also features as my HLT so some form of cheap temperature control would be nice. And not being so tech savvy when it comes to electricals, avoiding wiring at all costs is ideal.

Anyone who can point me in the right direction would be much appreciated as no electrics, no brewing. And that's bad, very very bad.

Cheers
Kyle_T

I use an stc-1000 for control of my hlt via an Adsa kettle element (I coundn't get any Tesco ones!).
I use a 55l SS pot as a boiler with 2 kettle elements in it, usually only one on though.

I have a spare stc-1000 so could offer you a kit (built) to plug into your boiler element to act as an hlt pm me if you are interested. Or there are companies who offer the same kind of thing ready built.

Converting is quite easy from gas->electric just a single 38mm hole for the element if using a kettle one.

I've heard those controllers mentioned a few times and the opinions seem to be good, how are they for wiring and cables? Any you have to buy separately?

Cheers.

You get a bare controller. You need a box, cables etc to set them up.
I put mine a project box with the cables out the back and have no problems with it. Depends on whether you can use a dremmel/hole saw etc to hack the box.

Latest posts

Back