Cooling before adding sugar?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott33b

Reaction score
Hi. First AG in FV. I was thinking of siphoning to a second FV in 2 weeks and placing in garage to cool for a week, before kegging/bottling and adding sugar, and them bring back to house for 2 weeks. Will this help with a clearer beer? Or will it damage the yeast for carbonating?
:cheers:

Scott33b said:
Hi. First AG in FV. I was thinking of siphoning to a second FV in 2 weeks and placing in garage to cool for a week, before kegging/bottling and adding sugar, and them bring back to house for 2 weeks. Will this help with a clearer beer? Or will it damage the yeast for carbonating?
:cheers:

After it's fully fermented, transfer into secondary fv, then leave in the cool for a week per every 10 gravity points it dropped. So if it went from 1045 to 1010, leave in the cool to condition for 3.5 weeks. After rack it again then bottle with sugar Nd bring into warm for 2 weeks. After the two weeks in the warm, leave again in the cool for up to 3 weeks until you have a clear beer. Then drink as required.

Jd

You seriously expect us all to agree?
I give my beers 2 weeks to ferment out then crash cool them for a week and then keg / bottle.
However just about everyone who will reply to this thread will disagree with everyone else, for example leaving your beer in secondary for 3 1/2 weeks is a really bad idea, 3-4 weeks conditioning is good, but the beer should be in a keg or bottle.

The next person will disagree with me.

keith1664 said:
You seriously expect us all to agree?
I give my beers 2 weeks to ferment out then crash cool them for a week and then keg / bottle.
However just about everyone who will reply to this thread will disagree with everyone else, for example leaving your beer in secondary for 3 1/2 weeks is a really bad idea, 3-4 weeks conditioning is good, but the beer should be in a keg or bottle.

The next person will disagree with me.

Yep I agree :thumb:

Thanks folks. Wasn't expecting everyone to agree or do the same thing. Was looking for opinions so I could make an informed decision, as I'm a total newbie at this.
:thumb:

yeah scott lots of different methods and everyone thinks there way is best, which it is for them. I read loads on here and asked questions and am trying different ways it just takes so long to find out if it's a better way or not. Best way is to ask and then make your own mind up which way to try.

JonnyD said:
After it's fully fermented, transfer into secondary fv, then leave in the cool for a week per every 10 gravity points it dropped. So if it went from 1045 to 1010, leave in the cool to condition for 3.5 weeks. After rack it again then bottle with sugar Nd bring into warm for 2 weeks. After the two weeks in the warm, leave again in the cool for up to 3 weeks until you have a clear beer. Then drink as required.

Jd

Not quite correct JD IMHO leave it in a secondary for a week then bottle, leave in warmth for on week then in the cool for 1 week per gravity point. :thumb: :thumb: I usually leave mine for a month or so after bottling before tasting. :thumb: :thumb:

Here's another opinion! Don't use a secondary as it will make your beer clear more slowly. Waiting for the flames...

Whatever you choose to do, you shouldn't have any problems with the beer carbonating. Even once it's cleared it will still be full of yeast. I think the only time this is an issue is after extended periods of lagering at low temperatures.

graysalchemy said:
Not quite correct JD IMHO leave it in a secondary for a week then bottle, leave in warmth for on week then in the cool for 1 week per gravity point. :thumb: :thumb: I usually leave mine for a month or so after bottling before tasting. :thumb: :thumb:

:thumb: What he said... :lol:

I think its more down to whatever suits you, or whatever your comfortable with. The longer you leave it in secondary, the less yeast will be in suspension when it comes to bottling/kegging...so will take longer to "carb" up. What I do is......ferment for two weeks...chill for 24hrs and then keg/bottle. I find that this leaves enough suspended yeast to give a good carb, and clears quickly.
No right or wrong answer on this one.
What I did do once was ...rack to secondary and left for 2 weeks, then kegged with some fresh yeast (about 1/8 of a vial of WLP)...Re-fermented/conditioned in the warm for 2 weeks and then crash chilled. It was very clear and very "bright", but I lost about 6pts in the bottom of the keg.

Well, I think this time I'll have 12 days in FV, then transfer to secondary FV. Cool in garage for 48hrs. Then keg and add sugar.
Reason for this trial is time, as I'm off to Aviemore on day 14 for hols!! A visit to the Cairngorm brewery??? if swmbo allows!:cheers:

Latest posts

Back