Cooling coil leak / Overnight cool down

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atco_91

Reaction score
Not that I have another choice but seeking reassurance.

My cooling coil has developed a leak I can't seem to fix. Google results are telling me not to panic, rack the wort and leave overnight in an airtight FV (which I have). Can someone please tell me this "should" be ok, so long as I do my utmost to not introduce anything that shouldn't be there.

FV is stainless steel not plastic which should help.

TY
Martin

I have being doing no chill now for a couple of years without ill effect, basically just tip the boiling liquid straight into my fermentor (one advantage of a stainless steel one) fit the lid and airlock and just leave to cool, just be aware that it can take a good 12-18 hours to cool down to pitching temp.

All reassuring responses. I think I am going to invest in a better chiller soon anyway, DIY is not my thing 🙈.

Having never done this before, do I still to give it a good shake / stir to get lots of oxygen in before pitching the yeast.

I normally achieve this by dropping the cooled wort from the kettle into the FV.

I think I am going to invest in a better chiller soon anyway, DIY is not my thing.

About 4 x the price of the DIY version - but very shiny :-)

Screenshot 2021-08-14 at 17.04.48.png

I normally achieve this by dropping the cooled wort from the kettle into the FV.
Just do the same with your hot wort. Added bonus is that it'll further sanitise your FV. I've been doing it for years (into plastic FV) and never had a problem.
I usually finish boiling by 2pm, fill the FV after it's had time to settle, and pitch at bedtime. So about 9 hours. I never bother checking the temperature.

Latest posts

Back