coopers australian lager problem

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood73

Reaction score
hi
I put a coopers Australian lager kit on last weekend, followed the instructions to the letter, problem is it hasn't started fermenting.
the initial temperature was 22deg but this dropped to 20deg where it has stayed, the instructions say that as long as it is over 18 it should be fine and just take slightly longer to ferment out.
any ideas?
thanks
rob

Welcome :cheers: Are you sure it hasn't started to ferment. How are you determining this? If there are bubbles on the surface that is an indication it has started. Your temp seems about right. Some yeasts take longer to get going than others. If the SG is the same after a week I would add some more yeast. But check with your hydrometer to make sure there has been no reduction. It doesn't happen very often these days but sometimes you get a duff yeast. If you get a replacement don't get a lager yeast unless you can ferment at lagering temps. Coopers kits come with a top fermenting yeast.

Hi thanks for the reply, i'm using a sealed vessel with airlock and its done nothing at all. what yeast would be good to start it, probably will have to be from wilko's.
re checked the temp and its 22 degrees.

I'm not a lager brewer so don't really know what to suggest. You could maybe try a kolsch or witbier yeast as they are top fermenting but nearer the style you are after. There are a few lager brewers on here so they may be along to help.

Have you taken a hydrometer reading? This is the only way to know if any fermentation has taken place. It may be that your lid wasn't sealed properly and as a result your airlock showed no activity.

Latest posts

Back