Coopers Australian Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill W

Reaction score
I've just started a Coopers Australian Pale Ale, using 500grams of Light spraymalt and 500 grams of dextrose, for a SG of 1.038.
Anyone here who has done this kit? What did you think of it?

Cooper's has their own forum you might look into. It's very well moderated and gets a good bit of traffic.

Their APA is something I keep wanting to do but Cooper's kits here in the states are way expensive, at least to me. All grain is a lot cheaper. I guess you pay more but get a forty-five minute brew day instead of four hours.

I'll probably do one eventually though.

Keep us posted. I'd like to hear how this turns out.

Cooper's has their own forum you might look into. It's very well moderated and gets a good bit of traffic.

Their APA is something I keep wanting to do but Cooper's kits here in the states are way expensive, at least to me. All grain is a lot cheaper. I guess you pay more but get a forty-five minute brew day instead of four hours.

I'll probably do one eventually though.

Keep us posted. I'd like to hear how this turns out.

I have enough difficulty finding the 45 minutes some days.

When I brewed mostly with kits, this was my go-to kit for tweaking with dry hops. It's fairly bland as a beer on it's own and really benefits from a dry hop of zingy hops like Cascade or Citra, 30g or so will do.

When I brewed mostly with kits, this was my go-to kit for tweaking with dry hops. It's fairly bland as a beer on it's own and really benefits from a dry hop of zingy hops like Cascade or Citra, 30g or so will do.

I've not yet tried dry hopping but it sounds like a good way of livening up some of the less expensive kits. I'll have to get myself a selection of hops on order.

I'm wondering if blandness is a feature of Cooper's kits? I've recently bottled their Mexican Cerveza. I tried a bottle the other day and found it OK, but a bit bland. Other family members tried a sip and liked it, so maybe it's my taste buds at fault.

I'm wondering if blandness is a feature of Cooper's kits? I've recently bottled their Mexican Cerveza. I tried a bottle the other day and found it OK, but a bit bland.

Not just Coopers, I've found most of those 1-can kits a bit bland. Not bad just bland. The problem is that you have pre-hopped malt extract that has presumably been pastuerised, it's never going to make a great beer compared to doing a fresh boil with hops. Some of the 2-can kits have added hops with them (e.g. Tiny Rebel Cwtch) and that really make a difference, so you can replicate this with the other kits by adding your own hops. However, for non-hoppy brew like stouts, the Coopers kit is very good - used to love Cooper Stout.

I made their Real Ale couple years ago just because you shouldn't look down on canned kits unless you've made one. I was pretty happy with the flavor overall. It was a bit too bitter for me but was overall a nice beer.

I've read that the APA makes a better beer if you only make it to fifteen liters or so. It's more bitter of course but has more malt flavor.

Well, it must be good yeast in this kit because it is away like a train. No worries about this one not being ready for that festive occasion near the end of next month that we don't mention in November. 😊

Well, it must be good yeast in this kit because it is away like a train. No worries about this one not being ready for that festive occasion near the end of next month that we don't mention in November. 😊

According to people on the Coopers forum they use an ale / lager blend of yeast for this kit. Apparently it's to assure success with whatever temperature control noobies may or may not, have.

G'Day Bill, I made lots of this beer back in the 'kit days' it's a great beer, cleaning and sanitation is critical it has nowhere for any odd flavours to hide. You could try a different yeast the supplied yeast can be a bit average and dont let it get too warm... Cheers

I made their Real Ale couple years ago just because you shouldn't look down on canned kits unless you've made one. I was pretty happy with the flavor overall. It was a bit too bitter for me but was overall a nice beer.
I'll strike a blow for kit brewers and question if all grain brewers have frazzled their taste buds since they always seek ever hoppier beers.

Not just Coopers, I've found most of those 1-can kits a bit bland. Not bad just bland. The problem is that you have pre-hopped malt extract that has presumably been pastuerised, it's never going to make a great beer compared to doing a fresh boil with hops.

Does it need to be pasteurised since the hopped malt extract will be liophilised wort, which has already been boiled?

I'll strike a blow for kit brewers and question if all grain brewers have frazzled their taste buds since they always seek ever hoppier beers.

Interesting point Bernie. There is also the widespread trend towards adding non-traditional ingredients, like fruit juices, chocolate, coffee, etc, which would tend to make a more subtle flavour seem bland by comparison.

I tried another bottle of the Cerveza yesterday evening. Oddly, it was a little flat, though there was some carbonation and a good deposit in the bottom. I don't know if that might be a bad seal on the Grolsch bottle it was in or just needs a bit longer in the warm. I'll err towards the latter and keep them warm another week. The strange thing is that the flavour came through stronger in the flattish beer.

Interesting point Bernie. There is also the widespread trend towards adding non-traditional ingredients, like fruit juices, chocolate, coffee, etc, which would tend to make a more subtle flavour seem bland by comparison.

I tried another bottle of the Cerveza yesterday evening. Oddly, it was a little flat, though there was some carbonation and a good deposit in the bottom. I don't know if that might be a bad seal on the Grolsch bottle it was in or just needs a bit longer in the warm. I'll err towards the latter and keep them warm another week. The strange thing is that the flavour came through stronger in the flattish beer.
This weekend I opened a bitter I'd brewed and it was flat and. ..... it was in a swing top bottle. The seal I'd replaced so it could be that the cage deforms with use. Interestgly, it reminded me of a beer down south.

I do all grain but hold the line at about 40 ibu.

I read a story about people developing borderline hop allergies from drinking so many mega-ibu beers. Body can only take so much of anything.

Cheers mate! Some interesting looking variations there.
Some great kit Coopers tweak recipes here Bill.

Recipes (diybeer.co

I've done a few and they were all fantastic!
Morning ALDERNEYBREW. Used to have that site for coopers recipes on my iPad but for at least 12 months or so every time I click on it it comes up 404 whoops our bad , and saying that the link is out dated , any ideas mate , would love to get the link back as there are a lot of great recipes , any help would be greatly appreciated 👍

Morning ALDERNEYBREW. Used to have that site for coopers recipes on my iPad but for at least 12 months or so every time I click on it it comes up 404 whoops our bad , and saying that the link is out dated , any ideas mate , would love to get the link back as there are a lot of great recipes , any help would be greatly appreciated 👍
Hi Tommo, even if you click the link I posted?
If so how about if you just search the Coopers site for DIY beer.
Maybe Apple only let's you view cider recipes!😂

Back