Coopers European

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisb2k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm on my second and final Coopers European lager before I embark on the journey to the dark side. I've had it in the FV for two weeks and the thing is still going. There's bubbles to be seen rising but the SG is 1018 and has been for a day or two since I started checking.

I guess the cold weather is affecting the process? The wort is 16 deg C therefore a slow fermentation can be expected I spose, and the bumf says this particular yeast can ferment as low as 12 or 13 degrees so I'm not overly bothered but 14 days is quite a time and a lack of movement in SG over a few days is a little worrying.

Shall I give it a thrashing to move it along from 1018 ? If it's been there for a while maybe it's slowed down too much ?

Cheers

Chris

the cold can efect you readinh as the fg reading on the kits are taken around 23degers . il try taseing a small bit to see if its stilla bit sweet .

maybe give it a gentle stir and move it to somewhere a wee bit warmer? it may be at 16 degrees during the day but might be alot colder at night which may be the problem?
my coopers european fermented down to 1008 i think, its still in the bottles, should be ready around xmas.
how did ur first batch go?

I Might move it upstairs for a while then to be sure. I think lager likes a lower temp to ferment anyways but as you say could be a little too low overnight ...

First batch was a bit odd. Started 1058 (which seemed a bit high to me) and went down to 1010 after 10 days. Also it tasted slightly vinegary after conditioning - well to me it did, several others said it was fine so maybe it's supposed to be like that. Kinda why I'm doing another one :)

This one started at 1039 (which I thought was on the low side) and is at 1018 at the moment as I say. So much for getting consistency in my brewing :whistle:

I tasted some from the hydrometer jar and it was perhaps a shade on the sweet side, though I have a cold at the moment and my taste buds aren't that reliable at the moment.

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated!

depends on the type of yeast used proper lager yeast will ferment at 6-8 deg c for about 21 days where as ale yeast will ferment at 18 deg c and take about a week. We made an AG lager fermented it with ale yeast took 5 days to ferment its bottled now and tastes great :D

The yeast I used was just the one that comes with the kit.

"The yeast supplied with Cooper's European Lager is a true lager strain"

Guess it will be fine :)

Back