Coopers FV & loose hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheazy_joe

Landlord.
Reaction score
Have got a Festival Razorback IPA on the go. Was a bit lazy / stretched for time / daft and just lobbed the hop pellets into the FV (would normally add in a muslin sock). I now have a seriously muddy looking beer with a thick hop head.

So, what's the advice on bottling it?

As the title says, I have the Coopers FV with the built in tap which accepts their bottling wand. Do I just bottle as normal and end up with lots of hops in the bottle?

Or, decant through a sieve into a second FV, hopefully getting rid of all the hops. Problem is, I don't have a syphon anymore (chucked it recently) meaning I can't bottle from this second FV, so would have to clean out the Coopers FV and move the beer back to it to bottle from there. That's a lot of moving beer about! I normally bottle prime so the beer only ever goes from my FV to the bottle.

If you are able to cool the FV the pellets should drop to the bottom.

I've done 2 brews where I've had hops in my FV and haven't been able to get them to completely sink the the bottom but my bottling stick has stopped them getting through. I don't have a Coopers FV but I assume all bottling wands and suitable taps have a sediment filter like mine does so will do its best not to let them through.

Personally I'd get another syphon for a few £ from Wilkos or wherever.

I've found the little sock thing they provide with the Festival kits to go over the end of your syphon to be quite effective at keeping out the hop debris.

Then either syphon straight from the primary into the bottles or syphon into your second FV where you could even batch prime, then clean up the syphon / get rid of the hop strainer, and use the clean syphone from there to fill your bottles.

Cheers guys, thanks for the advice. I think I've made a complete cock up of this hopping process as I may have thrown the hop sock that comes with the kit thinking "I'll never need that!". Guess I could just use a normal muslin sock instead. This will be the only time I ever get lazy and just chuck hop pellets in (have done it with leaf before but that's a different beast).

Just to wrap this thread up, I actually did what I suggested in my opening post: moved the beer to a second FV through a sieve, cleaned original Fv and added a sugar solution, then moved beer back to this and bottled from there. Wasn't anything like as much hassle as I expected it to be.

The hassle came from my mechanic telling me my Audi TT is dead and only fit for the scrap yard. Just as well I had a few bottles to drown my sorrows.

Latest posts

Back