Coopers FV modifications

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ciaran12s

Regular.
Reaction score
During my last bottling session, the top half of the valve came adrift from the bottom half. Probably an easy fix but I've decided I'm sick of it and want to put a new valve in it. The last five litres is a balancing act, resting the bucket on the worktop, balancing it on my head and trying to fill the bottle.

Main question is, has anyone blanked off the hole for the valve? And how did you do it?

I'm going to stick a valve in somewhere closer to the bottom, if not the very bottom centrally. I'm not at home for a couple of weeks but off the top of my head, this would require a base being fitted to the feet to allow room for an elbow at the penetration.

Anyone done any of This?

Tbh, I'm not sure what you're talking about. Do you mean the tap? If so you can buy new ones from a small obsure Scottish HB shop whose name escapes me at the moment

I was going to blank the hole for the tap and do away with that. Then fit a 15mm tank connector and valve closer to the bottom.

I've seen new taps for sale for a couple of quid. It's the fact that the tap is at the 5L mark, makes getting that last 5L to the bottle is a PITA. I'll come up with something.

Inn house brewery by any chance?

It had crossed my mind. Are they quite effective? I've never used one.
I take it they effectively syphon the last few litres?

Hi!
Yes, they work on the syphon principle.
I haven't used one, but the Better Bottle carboy (only available in the US, I believe) has one incorporated in the tap.
I don't know what the inside of the tap of a Cooper's FV looks like, but you might be able to knock something up that works.

Latest posts

Back