Coopers Original Stout Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started this kit on monday and used treacle as well as 1kg malt. Dont know about the taste yet but the smell is amazing! Also, no fermentation activity for 24 hours then came home from work yesterday to find the vigorous froth described elsewhere taking place. Thankfully the fv is in a water bath

I'll be going for this one very soon myself.

Coopers Stout Kit
500g Dark DME
500g Brewing Sugar
454g Dark Treacle

Fingers crossed for a nice pint :D

Markus said:
Monkeybrew said:
I've done with treacle and without, but find the treacle too overpowering. I might do a honey stout next time though :)

Can you describe what kind of flavour the black treacle adds?

I have stout drinking uncles and pals who are always at me to brew some. Going to go with the Coopers kit, 500g Dark spraymalt, black treacle and maybe some dark brown sugar. Was also going to add some cocoa powder at bottling but I'm not sure I should risk it since these guys are traditional stout men.

Thanks

Cocoa powder at bottling is a bad idea. It is really bad at settling out and will just add a bitter taste. It will take a year or two for the bitter oils in the cocoa to break down and become more chocolatly. I added some to a Coopers imperial stout. It is almost a year old and has only started to become less bitter and taste more chocolatly.

Markus said:
Monkeybrew said:
I've done with treacle and without, but find the treacle too overpowering. I might do a honey stout next time though :)

I have stout drinking uncles and pals who are always at me to brew some. Going to go with the Coopers kit, 500g Dark spraymalt, black treacle and maybe some dark brown sugar. Was also going to add some cocoa powder at bottling but I'm not sure I should risk it since these guys are traditional stout men.

Thanks

I am not a massive fan of stout but just bottled mine with 500g dme, 454g treacle, 250g dextrose to 18l and it tastes superb!

ScottM said:
I'll be going for this one very soon myself.

Coopers Stout Kit
500g Dark DME
500g Brewing Sugar
454g Dark Treacle

Fingers crossed for a nice pint :D

I've just been re-thinking this. The above won't really get me to a 23L brew will it? I'm forgetting that there will be a lot less fermentables with the above ingredients.

I don't have any more dark DME either, I could probably bump up the brewing sugar or brew short. I take it brewing short to 20L would be a better idea? The above is only looking at around 4%.

You would be well over 5% with DME, sugar and Treacle in 20l i would say.

I brewed mine to 22l with 454g tracle and 500g extra dark DME which gave me 4.2%

mattrickl06 said:
You would be well over 5% with DME, sugar and Treacle in 20l i would say.

I brewed mine to 22l with 454g tracle and 500g extra dark DME which gave me 4.2%

My calculations are telling me with approx 500g of each in a 20L brew I'll be seeing 4.7%.

If I brew it to 23L I should see around 4.1%.

Unless I'm missing something?

Treacle - 64% Fermentable
Brewing Sugar - 100% Fermentable
Coopers Stout Kit - 63% Fermentable
Muntons Dark DME - 76% Fermentable

I'm not sure what the yield of treacle is but if we reasonably assume that it's around 80%, similar to the kit, that would give a starting gravity of around 1.042@23L. If the fermentables all get eaten that would see a final gravity of around 1.010 giving 4.14%.

At 20L the OG would be around 1.049 and the final gravity would be around 1.012 giving 4.7%

I don't see how you managed to get such a high level of alcohol from a kit that's meant to produce 4% using 1kg of 100% fermentable sugar, when you have used less than 1kg of 70% fermentable sugar.

Hmm - does sound strange, however i just did a better brew irish stout kit (2.1kg) also with 500g ED DME / 454g Treacle / 200g Brown sugar in a full 23l which has ended up at 4.56%

I wonder if my Coopers kit or treacle was extra fresh maybe??

mattrickl06 said:
Hmm - does sound strange, however i just did a better brew irish stout kit (2.1kg) also with 500g ED DME / 454g Treacle / 200g Brown sugar in a full 23l which has ended up at 4.56%

I wonder if my Coopers kit or treacle was extra fresh maybe??

See that kit is more like what I'm seeing.

Bit of a strange one, don't knock it though :D

I'll brew it to 20L and just take on the experience to buy 1kg of Dark DME next time I do the kit :D

Good luck - saviour the smell of the wort, DME & treacle all mixed together, its blummin lavverley!!

mattrickl06 said:
Good luck - saviour the smell of the wort, DME & treacle all mixed together, its blummin lavverley!!

Really looking forward to it. I generally don't drink anything other than lager but on the odd occasion I really enjoy a pint of Guinness. Given the reviews of this kit I think I'm going to be onto a real winner with this kit :)

alanywiseman said:
Cocoa powder at bottling is a bad idea. It is really bad at settling out and will just add a bitter taste. It will take a year or two for the bitter oils in the cocoa to break down and become more chocolatly. I added some to a Coopers imperial stout. It is almost a year old and has only started to become less bitter and taste more chocolatly.

Thanks for the tip, I may just add extra dark spraymalt.

Hi guys,

I'm doing this next and would like it to be around the 5.5 to 6% mark without spending a load on fermentables.

So i'm thinking 500g of DME
454g of treacle
1kg of brewing sugar

Would this be ok or would that amount of brewing sugar make it too thin?

thanks guys

:cheers:

CoxyBoy123 said:
Markus said:
Monkeybrew said:

Thanks

I am not a massive fan of stout but just bottled mine with 500g dme, 454g treacle, 250g dextrose to 18l and it tastes superb!

How strong did it come out CoxyBoy?

warnie said:
Hi guys,

I'm doing this next and would like it to be around the 5.5 to 6% mark without spending a load on fermentables.

So i'm thinking 500g of DME
454g of treacle
1kg of brewing sugar

Would this be ok or would that amount of brewing sugar make it too thin?

thanks guys

:cheers:

That would make around 5.9% I reckon. If you pulled back a little, to around 5.5% then I reckon you would probably be OK. 800g would get you around 5.5%.

I'm happy with 5% so I'm going with 600g of sugar with the rest of the above :)

Edit: Just realised I'm thinking of 20L rather than 23L. 1kg of sugar will only see around 5.2% with all those other ingredients at 23L.

I have brewed this kit before christmas with 1kg brew enhancer alone and it was a very nice beer. I have another one of these kits, 500gms extra dark dme, a tin of treacle all at hand. I was maybe going to add 1kg brew enhancer, oh and i have a stick of licorace from homebrew shop. Would the enhancer be too much? I wont be brewing it for a few weeks yet.

bottler said:
I have brewed this kit before christmas with 1kg brew enhancer alone and it was a very nice beer. I have another one of these kits, 500gms extra dark dme, a tin of treacle all at hand. I was maybe going to add 1kg brew enhancer, oh and i have a stick of licorace from homebrew shop. Would the enhancer be too much? I wont be brewing it for a few weeks yet.

I got mine going tonight. Went with the following:

Coopers Stout Kit
1kg Brewing Sugar
500g Dark DME
454g Dark Treacle

Topped up to 23L I got a corrected OG of 1.050, incidentally exactly what I calculated :D

Looked like this after the topup......

7c7ac365dd46dec3061f835910f14675.jpg

Can't wait :D

ScottM said:
bottler said:

Coopers Stout Kit
1kg Brewing Sugar
500g Dark DME
454g Dark Treacle

Topped up to 23L I got a corrected OG of 1.050, incidentally exactly what I calculated :D

I think i'll go that route myself now scott :thumb

Hi Scott, I'm brewing this on Sunday so will be interested to see how your getting on with this so please keep us posted!

I was thinking of adding a little less sugar and brewing to 21L.

Undecided now :D

ScottM said:
bottler said:

Coopers Stout Kit
1kg Brewing Sugar
500g Dark DME
454g Dark Treacle

hi scott
that looks great ...
what temperature is that at...

regards mick... :hat: .

Latest posts

Back