Cooper's Stout Vs Wilko Velvet Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bettybeers

Reaction score
I put on these two stout kits during the summer around the same time, and they have had three months conditioning in a cool location. Each was made with 1kg brew enhancer 2, 500g extra dark spray malt and a spoon full of black treacle. Here is my comparison...

Velvet Stout 4.8% (on the left with red label):
Head retention is good, still in place 15mins after pouring, the head is quite white and clean to look at. The taste is smooth, nice stout flavour and very drinkable.

Cooper's Stout 5.5% (on the right with the blue label):
Head retention is also good, lasts the same time as the Velvet Stout but is bigger and has a caramel colour. The taste is fantastic and this is where Cooper's stands apart. There is a complexity to the flavour, it's deep with a toffee/coffee hint to it and a really pleasant after taste.

The Wilko Velvet Stout tastes good, and if I didn't have the Cooper's next to it I would happily sink a bunch of them without a second thought. However, tasting the Cooper's then the Velvet makes me realise that the Velvet has no real depth in comparison and there is very little in the way of after taste.

The Cooper's kit has 1.7kg extract compared to the 1.5kg in the Wilko Velvet which may account for the taste difference.

In summary, Wilko has the convenience of walking into the store and buying the kit without waiting and paying for postage. The kit is good and tastes nice, you'll most likely enjoy it. I would give it a 6/10. The Cooper's is a superior kit all round, if I had a choice it would be Cooper's every time, it's a solid 9/10 based on the kits I've done.

Both kits are improving with age. I was worried I'd put too many fermentables in hit it's worked out lovely. I've seen a few people say stout is bomb proof on this forum...I'm glad they're right.

Attachments

• IMG_20201010_184150049.jpg
    IMG_20201010_184150049.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 182
Hi mate I bought the Cooper's Irish stoute I used 500grams of dark spray malt 250 Demerara sugar and 250grams of black treacle. Also once I syphoned it toy pressure barrell I added about 100g Demerara prime mix . Now it has a week left till it's apparently ready but will leave it and exxta week so 5 weeks since it was first started!.

So the question is should I prime the bottles as I will bottle some to give to people and what amount of what product should I use to prime the bottles a little. Demerara or can I used some diluted treacle for so more flavour n thickness?

There's a priming calculator on site for accurate measurement, just write it in the search. With the stout I prefer to have less carbonation than recommended, but it's personal preference. Hope it turns out well for you 👍

Actually I always got great results using one of each kit in the same 27L brew with 1kg of sugar. Wasn't much more expensive than adding DME either.

Thanks for sharing, stout is my next brew now I’ve got my mixed gas setup sorted and a stout nozzle (works great on my current Wherry).

Ive bottled coopers Irish stout in the past and had great results, was gonna do the wilko but will skip that now 😆! My question is was it the standard coopers stout or the international series Irish stout you did? Anyone done both and have comments?

R

Thanks for sharing, stout is my next brew now I’ve got my mixed gas setup sorted and a stout nozzle (works great on my current Wherry).

Ive bottled coopers Irish stout in the past and had great results, was gonna do the wilko but will skip that now 😆! My question is was it the standard coopers stout or the international series Irish stout you did? Anyone done both and have comments?

R
Mine was the standard Cooper's stout, not the Irish

I just kegged my Cooper’s Irish Stout, 22 litres in FV with Coopers Brew Enhancer 3, 10 days @ 22 degrees and then a 4 day cold crash.

I force carb’d the last couple of litres in a pop bottle for 10 minutes at 30psi.....poured like a Guinness and tastes like a Guinness! I call that a result....its being left until l can catch up with my brothers for a post lockdown party (May?) can I resist?!

p.s. I use beer gas, but that was a standard flow control tap on-top of the bottle....gonna be amazing on the stout tap!

AD725439-C855-47BB-ADB2-2BCC21CF6758.jpeg
BB3C8B92-7715-4C70-83B6-B33E3941EB9C.jpeg

Latest posts

Back