Coopers Original Stout Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just sampled my first ever coopers stout, only been bottled for two weeks buts I'm pleased with it so far. Done it with 500g sme and 500g sugar, it's a bit light on flavour so I think I'll add more sme and brew a bit short next time.

Hi, second post just posted in, introductions.

So far done 3/4 bitters, this is my first stout. Started on Saturday, can not believe how much gas and froth it got after a few hours. Starting it was on 1.020 but hard to tell with froth need to get a tall thingy to scoop some out to measure really.

I have a standard youngs 25 litre brew bucket and whilst I am not there have left the lid open a bit in case it blows!! As temp in garage is low been using a brew belt to keep it at around 22-23c.

I was planning on bottling this Saturday, whats the best FG to bottle at?

Hi, second post just posted in, introductions.

So far done 3/4 bitters, this is my first stout. Started on Saturday, can not believe how much gas and froth it got after a few hours. Starting it was on 1.020 but hard to tell with froth need to get a tall thingy to scoop some out to measure really.

I have a standard youngs 25 litre brew bucket and whilst I am not there have left the lid open a bit in case it blows!! As temp in garage is low been using a brew belt to keep it at around 22-23c.

I was planning on bottling this Saturday, whats the best FG to bottle at?

I'd wait ten days minimum. From what I've read it'll end at about 1012 depending on what fermentables were added. If you just wait two weeks it'll get to whatever it'll get to.

I'd wait ten days minimum. From what I've read it'll end at about 1012 depending on what fermentables were added. If you just wait two weeks it'll get to whatever it'll get to.

I see thanks, I was thinking because of the very active brew it be better to bottle sooner, if this Saturday it is near 1.012, will bottle. Otherwise will need to wait until following Saturday as not enough time in week to bottle!

I guess wont do no harm to leave until following Saturday even if ready?

I only added wilkos plain brewing sugar and the kit.

I see thanks, I was thinking because of the very active brew it be better to bottle sooner, if this Saturday it is near 1.012, will bottle. Otherwise will need to wait until following Saturday as not enough time in week to bottle!

I guess wont do no harm to leave until following Saturday even if ready?

I only added wilkos plain brewing sugar and the kit.

Anything up to three weeks in the primary FV will be fine :) I leave everything for two weeks minimum. It helps ot to condition better in the FV and cuts down on sediment :)

Will see what it is at Sat but will most likely leave it until following sat, the major frothing seems to have died down atleast but still giving off gas lol. Smells good to me though!

Using beer belt to keep temp above 20c.

This is becoming my go-to kit when I need to get a brew going that I can start guzzling quickly. Have tried it with DME before so decided to give it a go this time with LME. Brewed short to 21 litres on Saturday night and it already had taken off with a big foaming brain on top last night. Might just be drinkable for Xmas

Fab brew, don't share it, it's far too nice.

used :-
Coopers Australia stout kit 1.7kg
Muntons beer enhancer 1kg
Black treacle 500g
4x5l tesco welsh spring water £1.05 each

Batch size 22l, Sg 1045 fg 1010 about 4.8% total with carb drops adding extra 0.5% 9 days in FV

used coopers carb drops, 1 and 1/2 for 500ml bottle, 5 x for 2l PET bottle. Perfect head, lacing to the bottom of the glass. The treacle added a great residual sweetness. it was drinkable after 1 week and is only improving in bottle.

on offer at £10 in tesco, add the carb drops, BE and spring water takes it to about £20, what a pint for 50p!!

Has calmed down now not so frothy but still leave lid loose as gas builds up.
I have only added wilkos brew sugar, guess its to late to add anything else now?

Will bottle this Saturday for sure!

Hi Lee, I'm not an expert but would it be possible to prime this with something like Dark Muscovado sugar to add some deeper flavour?

The priming sugars are in such small quantities that they have no real effect on the flavour of the final beer

So I guess I would next time need to add more? like treacle in addition to 1kg of sugar, or do I sub 500g treacle for instead 500g sugar?

So I guess I would next time need to add more? like treacle in addition to 1kg of sugar, or do I sub 500g treacle for instead 500g sugar?

I done my first coopers with 500g SME and 500g sugar but I didn't find it strong enough. The next one is going to be 500g SME, 500g sugar and a tin of black treacle, hopefully that'll give it a bit more oomph.

I done my first coopers with 500g SME and 500g sugar but I didn't find it strong enough. The next one is going to be 500g SME, 500g sugar and a tin of black treacle, hopefully that'll give it a bit more oomph.

Whats SME? sorry quite new to all diff brewing abbreviations.
I can imagine a tin of black treacle will do well, next, see how this first lot goes:drink:

I ran with my recipe and made it with 1kg dark DME 454g treacle and 500g organic cane sugar - brewed to 20l. It's 6.3% and very tasty.

I am a newbie and reading the reviews this is going to be my next kit 100%. Would it be ok to bottle in the plastic PET bottles??

Latest posts

Back