Coopers PET Bottles leak from base.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deegee

Reaction score
I recently decided to dip into home brew after a gap of twenty odd years, and started with a Coopers Lager kit.

Tonight was bottling night and I excitedly set about filling two boxes of Coopers PET bottles I'd bought from Tesco last week.

Of 48 bottles, SIXTEEN leaked from the bottom. It's like a pinhole, possibly at the moulding point. Thankfully I noticed while sterilising and rinsing so no beer was wasted.

I've been collecting glass bottles from a local club for a stout brew I've just started so they were hurriedly called into action..

Anybody else had this issue with Coopers bottles, or have I just been unlucky?

Hi and welcome to the forum, never used PET bottles but if I were you I'd take them back to Tesco's.

Unlucky...I would complain to the store manager...they were not fit for purpose

Sounds like a faulty batch - I've used many of these, never had a problem. Get them exchange, Tesco won't argue.

Just as well you had some spare bottles!

That's really poor quality! Shame.

I go to my local pub, they'll give me all the bottles I need!

dennisking said:
Hi and welcome to the forum, never used PET bottles but if I were you I'd take them back to Tesco's.

Thanks. I've been trying to take in all the info on here for a couple of weeks. Great community with loads of knowledge to take advantage of.

I fully intend to take them back to Tesco, just wondered if anybody else had experienced this issue. The faulty bottles were split between both boxes (9 in one box, 7 in the other).

I'm wondering whether it's a dodgy batch or should I avoid PET bottles?

Edit: And thanks for the other replies as well! Guess I've just been unlucky on my first session back.

I would put an email in to coopers.... You may get a kit out of it :P, they would appreciate hearing about quality issues like these.

Probably just a dodgy batch. Unlike some bottles, the Coopers ones are double-walled, to stop oxygen getting in.

Never heard of anything like it, not used cooper pet but used lots of pesi n coke bottles and afaik the coopers bottles should be better?? inform coopers and perhaps get a voucher for kits ;)
start collecting grolsh bottles, :) 3 for a fiver full at asda.. while a lhbs sells the bottles empty (brown galss) for £1.75 empty..

Make sure you keep the Grolsh ones in the dark though, or your beer may become light-struck (skunked). I have a vintage Grolsh bottle, which is brown, don't know why they switched to green.

hi same here two boxes from Tesco, 12 bottles with little holes in them, mixed between the two boxes,

Back