Coopers stout advise

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan1321

Reaction score
Hi all

I have brewed up 23 liters of coopers stout currently at 1010 fg so I will be putting it in some 5L containers.

Beer lacks body so I was wondering if adding some lylea black treacle to prime with would help?

Brewed with a brew enhancer.

Not a whole lot you can do after the fact. You could try adding some maltodextrin to change the mouthfeel and give it a little more sweetness. Before adding it to all the beer, I'd try it with one sample and then scale up from there.

Hi jonathan
If you're looking for more body but don't want to add extra fermentables brew short.
A few years ago a member, terrym I believe it was (thanks terry), suggested I try this recipe.
1 can coopers stout.
500g dark spray malt.
500g golden syrup.
100g dark muscavado sugar.
1tbls of treacle.
And 4 shots of strong coffee.
It's so good I still brew it today. Give it a try you won't be disappointed.

Cheers Dicko.

Hi jonathan
If you're looking for more body but don't want to add extra fermentables brew short.
A few years ago a member, terrym I believe it was (thanks terry), suggested I try this recipe.
1 can coopers stout.
500g dark spray malt.
500g golden syrup.
1tbls of treacle.

Cheers Dicko.
Thanks Dicko,

I'm going to try this. I batch prime, what do you do to prime this recipe before bottling?

Many thanks,

Damien

Hi Damien.
I never batch primed mine I used half a tsp per 500 ml bottle. But I would imagine 90-100g would be sufficient, It depends on how well carbed you like your stout.
By the way when I brew it I brew to 20l and it comes out around 4.8%.

Cheers Dicko

Hi Damien.
I never batch primed mine I used half a tsp per 500 ml bottle. But I would imagine 90-100g would be sufficient, It depends on how well carbed you like your stout.
By the way when I brew it I brew to 20l and it comes out around 4.8%.

Cheers Dicko
Thanks Dicko for the reply,

Very much appreciated. I'll definitely give this a go.

Damien

No problem
The batch I'm drinking at the moment is over 12 month old and it's superb.

Cheers Dicko

Hi jonathan
1 can coopers stout.
500g dark spray malt.
500g golden syrup.
1tbls of treacle.

Cheers Dicko.

This sounds like a great recipe!
What abv did you end up with?

This sounds like a great recipe!
What abv did you end up with?
Hi Neilb
I've brewed this many times and every time it came out at 4.73%. Og 1046 finished at 1010, it's well balanced and tastes fantastic.

Cheers Dicko

Hi Neilb
I've brewed this many times and every time it came out at 4.73%. Og 1046 finished at 1010, it's well balanced and tastes fantastic.

Cheers Dicko

Thanks mate, I will definitely try this athumb..

Thanks mate, I will definitely try this athumb..
The original recipe I got off terrym was brewed to 19l so will have been slightly stronger. I brewed to 20l as I didn't have a 19l mark on my fv.
By the way the coffee added is fresh ground not instant. Although a work colleague did add a couple of capsules from his coffee machine!:laugh8:

Cheers Dicko

The original recipe I got off terrym was brewed to 19l so will have been slightly stronger. I brewed to 20l as I didn't have a 19l mark on my fv.
By the way the coffee added is fresh ground not instant. Although a work colleague did add a couple of capsules from his coffee machine!:laugh8:

Cheers Dicko

Thanks, I was going to ask if you brewed it short!
Yeah I was thinking of fresh ground coffee. Nice one mate, thanks again 😁 athumb..

Latest posts

Back