Cork bung issues

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucy

Reaction score
Hi,

I hope this isn't a silly question but I've recently ordered a load of bored cork bungs for DJ's.... put one in with an airlock etc the problem is that the wine is clearly fermenting, there's a LOT of bubble activity but the airlock isn't bubbling at all,... I checked the airlock for leaks (none found) and I also ensured it was properly inserted into the neck of the DJ.

I decided to switch over a rubber bung from a different DJ just to test and it starts bubbling away... so I assume the cork is letting the CO2 out.

Am I missing something here? the cork bungs seem useless if they let the gas out?

Soaking cork will soften it and allow u to shove it in way more, as it drys in the bottle the cork will retain its new shape till soaked again, Id boil a kettle and pour over to soak overnight..

u can shove em in much deeper as they are softer and will seal well, they dont last forever and levering out when well bunged in takes its toll on the edge and it will crumble away eventually.

Back