Corny Keg and Sparkling Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohowson

Reaction score
Hi all

So I'm partial to a drop of cider and am experimenting with my apple tree produce at the moment, but I'm curious about these corny keg's I've heard of.

I know - or at least believe - that I can put still cider in one, add co2, and after a period of days will have nummy fizzy cider on tap. What about already sparkling cider - could i pour a few bottles of Magners in there, add the co2, and then serve on tap straight away? I don't always know when people are going to come around for a few drinks...

I'm sure you could fill the keg with bottles of magners and then add CO2 and serve immediately. But why would you want to do that when you have it in bottles already?

If you want to use a corny keg you'll need to get a CO2 cylinder, a regulator, gas line, 2 disconnects, beer line, a beer tap, a fridge.... It's certainly not cheap or easy!

I'd stick to bottles...

Ah, but the difference between setting up a 2 or 3 tap system is negligible. My other two taps will have ale and lager (and a line cooler) so really the cost is the keg and the connector - and a bit of tubing. While emptying a glass bottle in there is costly, pouring a few 2l plastic bottles in - that will be considerably cheaper, look cool, added fix (open bottles lose fizz quickly)

Ah, but the difference between setting up a 2 or 3 tap system is negligible. My other two taps will have ale and lager (and a line cooler) so really the cost is the keg and the connector - and a bit of tubing. While emptying a glass bottle in there is costly, pouring a few 2l plastic bottles in - that will be considerably cheaper, look cool, added fix (open bottles lose fizz quickly)
I occasionally buy 10L poly pins of beer and pop them in a half size corny (9.5l), and beer keeps for a good few weeks so I see no reason it couldn’t work with cider if that’s your preference.

Why not put the cider straight in the keg rather than in plastic bottles?

Sorry I don't get it.

You will make cider, put it in 2l bottles and then pour into a keg to serve. I don't see the point.

The OP is talking about pouring bottles of purchased cider into a keg as it is a cooler way of serving it.

True. Although you night end up using the 3rd for a different beer, and then buy a 4th, then a 5th....its addictive.

To answer your first question. Yes you could pour fizzy cider into the keg, connect the CO2 and start pouring straight away. It will work fine.

True. Although you night end up using the 3rd for a different beer, and then buy a 4th, then a 5th....its addictive.

To answer your first question. Yes you could pour fizzy cider into the keg, connect the CO2 and start pouring straight away. It will work fine.
I doubt I'd get through enough to make different kegs viable before they go off. The little corny kegs we're talking about a few quids worth of potential wasteage rather than a hundred quid or so's worth.

tbh the main main main reason is that a three tap setup is easier to find on facebook than a two tap setup and I hate the idea of having an unused tap...

then people might believe that I think gin is an acceptable drink. It isn't. I serve it, but I'm not having the vile stuff in my house!

Latest posts

Back