Corny question.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got an Imperial IPA cold crashing at the moment and I'm going to keg ot when it's done.
First time with a corny keg. What pressure should I set the co2 at to carb the beer?
In was thinking about 20 psi for a week then down to about 5 for serving. I don't want to force carb thanks.

20 for a week is about right, the serving pressure depends on your set up. I serve mines at 12, but if I have a lager or wheat beer on tap i set it even higher.

I think I've got 3m of ⅜ beer line and an adjustable flow tap when they arrive so I guess it's trial and error to get a decent pint with cutting the ⅜ down to length. I've got the beer line bit from BKT thanks.

20 is good. 5 is fine too it will slowly degas over time at that pressure though.

I think you are force carbing your beer by using external CO2 did you mean you don't want to burst carbonate?

Last edited:
I struggled with just 3/8 lines and ended up with the majority of the line being 3/16, I found it easier to balance. That said, I read on here and elsewhere folk getting on okay with only 3/8, plus, I didn’t have flow control taps.

20 is good. 5 is fine too it will slowly degas over time at that pressure though.

I think you are force carbing your beer by using external CO2 did you mean you don't want to burst carbonate?
I want to detach the gas. And leave it with the pressure in the corny. I suppose it may go down over a week or so

Back