Coronation Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

An Ankoù

Landlord.
Reaction score
Aye up. I was looking to see if there was a date for the coronation, and it seems there isn't. Although Charles is de facto king, the coronation, I understand could be some months away thus giving us plenty of time to get a special beer on, get the Wise One knitting bunting and organising street parties in the winter's snow.

I had in mind something rich and warm and wonderful to brighten up an early winter's day so I had a rummage through Greg Hughes for inspiration and I'm attracted by both the Old Ale and the English Barley Wine, but perhaps just a little more quaffable. I'll come up with a plan over the weekend.

Anybody else up for this? It would be nice to compare notes and ideas and maybe even swap bottles.

The Queen came to the throne in February 1952 but the coronation wasn’t until 1953. So wait until next year for your brew.

@An Ankoù
Now's the time for your barley wine to be ready for next year.
I made the Harveys Elizabethan ale it has aged wonderfully.
Would be a good choice. I'll dig out the recipe it was in Clone brews.
Screenshot_20220910-054025.png
Screenshot_20220910-054132.png
Screenshot_20220910-054121.png

I've just brewed a Thomas Hardy ale clone, might have to name it Charlie III.
Worth using their yeast from a bottle of old ale ( I think that's bottle conditioned).

@An Ankoù
Now's the time for your barley wine to be ready for next year.
I made the Harveys Elizabethan ale it has aged wonderfully.
Would be a good choice. I'll dig out the recipe it was in Clone brews.
View attachment 74604View attachment 74606View attachment 74605
I've just brewed a Thomas Hardy ale clone, might have to name it Charlie III.
Worth using their yeast from a bottle of old ale ( I think that's bottle conditioned).
Thanks RWAV. I'll certainly give that recipe a good poring over.
As for Thos Hardy Ale. It was brewed by Eldridge Pope in Dorchester and I think Meantime have got it now. It certainly was bottle conditioned, but I don't know about now as it's a good while since Ive had a drop.

It'll be a good few months before I taste it as well. Currently in a keg on secondary vatting stage with some oak dominoes. The original recipe they kept it in oak barrels for six months before bottling.
The Wlp099 yeast was a beast.
IMG_20220826_001851.jpgIMG_20220826_085900.jpg
I also parti gyled 23 litres of bitter at 1.037 and topped it up with some invert to get to 1.041. Used the same yeast.
I also pitched an imperial stout onto the yeast cake of the parti gyle.
Cunning stuff.

Thanks for the recipe. I've found my own copy of Clone Brews and I'm definitely going to research the recipe. I see it's still in production at Harvey's. I'm a bit worried about chucking so much treacle in there, but if you say you've tried it... I might do a small batch of 10 litres so I can adjust the treacle level if necessary.

On the other hand, the Thomas Hardy Ale looks evil, or at least the yeast does. In spite of its high attenuation, aren't you a bit worried about bottling a high FG beer with a diastaticus varient yeast, or are you going to mature it for a good while before bottling?

It'll be a good few months before I taste it as well. Currently in a keg on secondary vatting stage with some oak dominoes. The original recipe they kept it in oak barrels for six months before bottling.
The Wlp099 yeast was a beast.
View attachment 74617View attachment 74618
I also parti gyled 23 litres of bitter at 1.037 and topped it up with some invert to get to 1.041. Used the same yeast.
I also pitched an imperial stout onto the yeast cake of the parti gyle.
Cunning stuff.
It's that just the krausen on top ? It looks like a meringue

Remember
Charles the first - Civil War
Charles the Second - Plague of London and Fire of London.
Charles the Third - ???

I’ve popped the Elizabethan Ale into Brewfather for a 10 l batch then had a search for Progress Hops interesting that they all seem to be about half the AA than when the recipe was written.

Thanks for the recipe. I've found my own copy of Clone Brews and I'm definitely going to research the recipe. I see it's still in production at Harvey's. I'm a bit worried about chucking so much treacle in there, but if you say you've tried it... I might do a small batch of 10 litres so I can adjust the treacle level if necessary.

On the other hand, the Thomas Hardy Ale looks evil, or at least the yeast does. In spite of its high attenuation, aren't you a bit worried about bottling a high FG beer with a diastaticus varient yeast, or are you going to mature it for a good while before bottling?
It fermented down to 1.036 in 4 days.
I then have transferred it into a keg with airlock and oak dominoes. It will attenuate over the next 6 months so don't think I'll be making bottle bombs.
I'm also going into small bottles, ideally looking for small tonic bottles of 250ml.

It's that just the krausen on top ? It looks like a meringue
You are right, I didn't dare do a real open ferment. I popped a big meringue on the top to protect it all!
It was a 6 litre starter I had to build.
Had to innovate.IMG_20220822_120418.jpg
Later realised I had something I could do the culture in.
But once finished I just stood fermentasaurus up and collected the yeast in the bottle. I poured off the used wort 'nd then pitched the gyle brew onto it.

Remember
Charles the first - Civil War
Charles the Second - Plague of London and Fire of London.
Charles the Third - ???
Well, I believe in Causality, and precious little else, as opposed to fate, superstition, magic, or any other nonsense. However, I have also noticed that our inter-connected Globalised Societies are indeed on target for mutual self destruction. My solution? Get another beer brewed and get another bottle out the garage. Won't make no difference either way.

If you are interested (anyone), try reading Eric H Cline's "1177BC - The Year Civilisation Collapsed", or more easily, try watching one of his You-Tube Videos on the subject. There is one with the one hour lecture on the subject, plus an extended Q&A afterwards. He is very good lecturer, but the book drags a lot.

Last edited:
My solution? Get another beer brewed and get another bottle out the garage. Won't make no difference either way.
On the contrary. Only you can experience the world the way you experience it. If that experience is improved by your solution then getting another brew on and cracking open a bottle is truly world-changing. 🍻

Back