Cost of extract ingredients for 5 gallon brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Widow

Reaction score
My husband spends a while on the computer researching different web sites for prices so I thought I'd do my bit by asking on here too (and he'll be really pleased to see that I'm taking an interest too). The best price he came up with last night for a 5 gallon brew made with 3kg of dried malt extract, 500g cracked crystal malt, 200g hops and a sachet of yeast was £38 or thereabouts. I don't know the details, just that!

Where do you buy your ingredients from and can anyone top this?

Thanks everyone :D

I did a quick price up using The Homebrew Company, who are one of our site sponsors at the top of the page.

3Kg Light SprayMalt £13.00
1Kg Crushed Crystal Malt £1.22
Safale S-04 yeast £1.98
Hops, prices vary but £3.00 per 100g pack should be close, so £6.00 in total.

That gives a total of £22.20 plus p&p

EDIT, I'm too slow again

Of course, it is unlikely you will use 200g of hops in one brew, so you can save some for next time, and you will have 500g of Crystal Malt left.

A super quick response, much appreciated, thanks. He will be gutted that he placed the order last night but very pleased for next time. And that research took me 5 minutes!

Good on you! My missus won't help with anything but bottling and complains about the smell of boiling beer. hahah. trying to make something this year to win her over...

but yeah, that's a very excessive price for DME. Just over 2 quid for 500g is about the best rate you'll get. If you're making lager, light ale etc, you can get away with subbing a little of the DME out for sugar and it won't affect the body much because they're light anyway.

good luck in the future!

Latest posts

Back