Crashing issue

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stringman

Reaction score
Hi All

I have made my first batch of "sort of cider" with some windfalls. It was spur of the moment and a pure experiment.
As I was too impatient to wait for the proper yeast I made it with bread yeast. I researched it on here and it seemed that the only problem was to get the yeast to settle.
I read that you can crash the yeast to get it to settle.
Having tasted it it seemed quite drinkable so Put it in a fridge ( still in the FV) at 1 deg.
To compound the issues I started a second batch and realised the o ring was missing from the lid. So i used some kitchen silicone to make a temprary o ring and put that on the crashing FV. 3 days later we had a taste and it tasted horrible very yeasty and still very cloudy ( to be expected as I didnt add pectolase) swapped over lids and it started bubbling so it still seems to be fermenting even though the sg hasnt changed.

So my questions are:
Should i leave it longer in the fridge?
Anything i can do to save it?
if so what would you advise?
I did wonder about just doing a secondary fermentation as i have a couple of 2.5 l Pet bottles and see what happens but if it is going to be a complete waste then is there any point

Many many thanks in advance

Latest posts

Back