Crossing over to the Darkside

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

regaltabs

Not happy with change
Reaction score
Well I finished my sneaky build last week and did the water testing in the sunshine. I planed a bank holiday brew but the weather gods had other ideas (it is the darkside after all). I decided that I would put up the gazebo on Saturday and go for it anyway. All went well up until the rain started as I was chilling but the gazebo held out and I finished dry and enlightened to the ways.

I did a Proper Job clone that I found online with a 10% wheat malt addition for good head :D (this might be a bit heavy comments welcome)

5kg Pale malt
500g Wheat malt

30g Chinook 12.5 AA 90min
20g Cascade 7.9 AA 10min
25g Willamette 6.4 AA 10min
3g Irish moss 10min
30g Willamette 6.4 AA 5min
30g Willamette 6.4 AA 1min
30g Cascade 7.9 AA 30 min steep at flame out

Safbrew s-33

I mashed with 14ltrs and fly sparged a further 20ltrs to give me around 29ltrs of sweet wort. My first runnings were 1081 and I finished at 1009. The boil went well, the chiller did a great job and the hop strainer worked a treat. I finished with an OG of 1050 so I hoping for around 5%abv once it ferments out. Ive never used S-33 before but 24hrs later and the air lock is going like a train.

All in all a good day and I can't wait to get the next one on. Sorry there are no pics but as I said its a sneaky build. :whistle:

:cheers:

Hi & welcome,

I was talking to Rob (The malt miller) about Wheat in a brew, as I did a Hopping hare clone a few weeks back. I used 300 grams, which Rob said would be ok, but he would not go a lot more. Any way you'll have to let us know how it turns out. :thumb:

Thanks all :D

I had been informed that up to 10% wheat was the limit so I went for it. I will let you know how it goes in a few weeks time.

regaltabs said:

I had been informed that up to 10% wheat was the limit so I went for it. I will let you know how it goes in a few weeks time.

!0% is normally OK.

dennisking said:
regaltabs said:

!0% is normally OK.

Cheers Dennis hope it gives a good head, being from the North East this is a must and I always wanted to experiment with the wheat malt to improve the head retention.

Welcome to the darkside :thumb:

I must say that hopping is very much proper Job IPA. I am having a bottle of my varient tonight which is rather good i don't think you will be disapointed. I put wheat malt in mine as well as Oat flakes :wha: :wha:

Back