Crossmyloof

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought I'd post my experience regarding their Midland ale yeast which is described as similar to Nottingham. My usual go-to Notty style yeast is Wilko Gervin which I've used a lot and in particular only this in the instance of my often brewed Tribute clone. The clone turns out the same every time so I'm happy with the results and the consistency so thought it would be a sensible idea to change one variable....the yeast,so I chose CML Midland for this.
So,the latest Tribute #8 was brewed with no hitches and all numbers were spot on,pitched the Midland straight to the wort after getting it to pitch tempvin the brew fridge then left it do its thing. It took less than 24 hours to kick off and a very busy fermentation was visible for about the first four days or so then it calmed down and was left for the standard two weeks after which if was down to a stable FG of 1.011 which was usual for my recipe. I then bottled with my standard 120g for the 23l batch,left to carbonate at room temp for two weeks then moved to the brew shed. My beers usually start to drop clear after a couple of days and this was still the case.
Now,after a week in the brew shed I like to sample a beer to check carbonation "etc."
Carbonation was spot on,the beer poured clear,all good! Taste wise its definitely different from the usual Wilko Gervin but in a good way! Put simply if Wiljo Gervin is the Tribute bottle version then the Midland is the pub or the "cask" version. The classic Tribute flavour and aroma are there ...namely for me the Willamette but there's more going on. In fact it's a better beer for it I think!

Thought I'd post my experience regarding their Midland ale yeast which is described as similar to Nottingham. My usual go-to Notty style yeast is Wilko Gervin which I've used a lot and in particular only this in the instance of my often brewed Tribute clone. The clone turns out the same every time so I'm happy with the results and the consistency so thought it would be a sensible idea to change one variable....the yeast,so I chose CML Midland for this.
So,the latest Tribute #8 was brewed with no hitches and all numbers were spot on,pitched the Midland straight to the wort after getting it to pitch tempvin the brew fridge then left it do its thing. It took less than 24 hours to kick off and a very busy fermentation was visible for about the first four days or so then it calmed down and was left for the standard two weeks after which if was down to a stable FG of 1.011 which was usual for my recipe. I then bottled with my standard 120g for the 23l batch,left to carbonate at room temp for two weeks then moved to the brew shed. My beers usually start to drop clear after a couple of days and this was still the case.
Now,after a week in the brew shed I like to sample a beer to check carbonation "etc."
Carbonation was spot on,the beer poured clear,all good! Taste wise its definitely different from the usual Wilko Gervin but in a good way! Put simply if Wiljo Gervin is the Tribute bottle version then the Midland is the pub or the "cask" version. The classic Tribute flavour and aroma are there ...namely for me the Willamette but there's more going on. In fact it's a better beer for it I think!
Hey Clint, Do you have the AG recipe for that Tibute ale, Ive never tried it but wouldn't mind giving it a go, you seem to like it as youv'e brewing it so many times. Thanks in advance.

Hey Clint, Do you have the AG recipe for that Tibute ale, Ive never tried it but wouldn't mind giving it a go, you seem to like it as youv'e brewing it so many times. Thanks in advance.
They've published the original brewsheet for Daylight Robbery, the eclipse special that evolved into Tribute, although as noted down-thread, they've eg simplified the water treatment, and further down-thread there's a copy of an email from Roger :
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/thread...-became-tribute-from-the-horses-mouth.661711/

Sounds good!. Landlord was the only kit of theirs that went a bit wrong.. and that was down to my lack of temp control and the summer heat kicking in.. will try it again though as all others have been good. As an aside, I just cracked my first bottle of the oatmeal stout with Voss, now that's not bad at all. Strangely a reminiscent black sheep milk stout.

Another shout out for the CML boys from me. I decided Friday evening I’d make an NEIPA at the weekend but didn’t have the dry hops I needed. I placed an order for 225g of NEIPA mix at about 10.00pm on Friday and paid an extra 50p to have them delivered 1st class in the hope they’d arrive by Wednesday so I could dry hop at high Krausen. Anyway, I got an email from CML on Saturday morning to say the order had been shipped and they arrived this morning, Monday. 👏👌

Attachments

• 20221126_201745.jpg
    20221126_201745.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 0
Another shout out to the CML team - Steve personally delivered my order this morning to ensure that I (and others in the Glasgow area he was also delivering to) had my ingredients before Christmas. Much appreciated!

The first sign of decent brewing weather over the festive holiday, I'll be brewing a Pilsner and their Maori Mingle - and, for the first time, use my undercounter fridge for temperature controlled fermentation.

Cheers CML!

Back