crown cap sanatisation / star san

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

46.philh

Regular.
Reaction score
i have been using star san for my crown cap sanatisation but had read that star san is not always good to use on metals.

Does the star san cause the caps to rust?

What do you do ?

I know a lot of people advocate putting them in plain boiling water - this is what I did for my one and only brew to date.

mine go in the bucket (or sink ) that I sanitize in, and then in the bucket (or sink) that I rinse with, then on.

Moley said:
I take them out of the bag and put them on the bottles.
Me too :thumb: The largest risk of infection is over, in fact I now only rinse bottles after drinking and clean them in the dishwasher before capping. No probs yet.

I make a solution of vidine up in my boiler, then I use the drain tap on it to fill each bottle up with solution, give it a shake, pour back in boiler, have a jug spare and fill it with the solution out the boiler and put my caps in that :)

46.philh said:
i have been using star san for my crown cap sanatisation but had read that star san is not always good to use on metals.

I tend to stick mine in a bowl of star san while bottling, shake off starsan when I grab them to put on the bottle. I rinse any left over. I have done this for a few brews and never had any issues with rusty caps so far.

TheMumbler said:
46.philh said:

I tend to stick mine in a bowl of star san while bottling, shake off starsan when I grab them to put on the bottle. I rinse any left over. I have done this for a few brews and never had any issues with rusty caps so far.

Will just stick with above.
Ta.

Back