Foam in fermenting wort

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdb

Reaction score
Hi all. Have been lurking here a little while whilst beginning to dip my toe into the homebrew world. I wonder if anybody can advise me on this?

When decanting my wort into the carboy (via a funnel) I noticed that the wort foamed up quite significantly. It is the first time I have used the funnel, so I put it down to that and assumed that it would soon settle/clear. However 15 hours later the foam is still there. I know I am likely to get bubbles on top, but this is a substantial layer. Fermenting seems to be proceeding as normal. I used star san to sanitize my carboy before use so was wondering whether this may be caused by residue from that? I had drained and given a light rinse just to clear off all the foam, but maybe there has been some residue left which has caused this (the foam looks similar to the star san foam to my eyes). Could this be the cause or is it more likely just a natural occurrence? I gather that star san is safe, but will the beer be ok to drink?

I have tried to link to an image below, not sure if it has worked...

I would appreciate any advice you knowledgeable folks could give! Thanks Matt

1669032970261.png

Attachments

• 1669032966538.png
    1669032966538.png
    323 KB · Views: 1
Great, thanks everyone. It looks a lot different to my first two attempts so good to get some reassurance

Latest posts

Back