Czech Pilsner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Mackembrew, how did this one go? About to make my own so interested šŸ˜Š

Hi mate, ended up brewing this a little later but it's currently sat fermenting away and doing ok.

I loosly followed the above, just went for a simple mash, didn't bother with the decoction.

60min @ 65Ā°c
3.8kg Pilsner
450g Vienna
250g Munich
250g Dextrin

90min boil
Saaz 38g @ 80
Saaz 23g @ 45
Saaz 19g @ 20

W34-70
SG: 1.051

Currently at 1.022 day 19 fermenting at 8Ā°c

Will keep you updated

Hi mate, ended up brewing this a little later but it's currently sat fermenting away and doing ok.

I loosly followed the above, just went for a simple mash, didn't bother with the decoction.

60min @ 65Ā°c
3.8kg Pilsner
450g Vienna
250g Munich
250g Dextrin

90min boil
Saaz 38g @ 80
Saaz 23g @ 45
Saaz 19g @ 20

W34-70
SG: 1.051

Currently at 1.022 day 19 fermenting at 8Ā°c

Will keep you updated
Hi bud,

Sounds really good, I have enough Munich, pilsner and saaz but sadly not Vienna nor Dextrin, do you think it could still brew something nice?

Cheers

Hi bud,

Sounds really good, I have enough Munich, pilsner and saaz but sadly not Vienna nor Dextrin, do you think it could still brew something nice?

Cheers
Just go 100% pilsner malt with about 30g of Saaz at 10 minutes and enough again at the start of the boil to get your IBU to about 35. Pilsner recipes are not complicated. Your success will be down to the accumulation of lots of little process things including your water quality, temperature control and how well you can exclude oxygen from the beer post-fermentation.

Just go 100% pilsner malt with about 30g of Saaz at 10 minutes and enough again at the start of the boil to get your IBU to about 35. Pilsner recipes are not complicated. Your success will be down to the accumulation of lots of little process things including your water quality, temperature control and how well you can exclude oxygen from the beer post-fermentation.
Brill, thanks for your reply, it's my 1st time brewing without using a pack so trying to understand what the timings mean such as @40min. If you are able to tell me an idiot guide it would be really appreciated as I'm going to start boiling it today. Thanks again.

Has anybody had any experience in filtering beer?

I imagine if you have a corny keg setup it is relatively easy to do, but Iā€™ve never tried it myself. I would have thought, though, that if crystal clear clarity is very important (understandable if the product is for people accustomed to pub-style lager) a 1 or 0.5 micron filter is a guarantee to clear beer?

I would be interested to try it myself sometime, probably for this very style.

Hi bud,

Cheers

Definitely! Go for it!

Just keep an eye on that fermenting temperature, as @foxbat said it's the other parts of brewing this style that make it complicated and challenging :)

Brill, thanks for your reply, it's my 1st time brewing without using a pack so trying to understand what the timings mean such as @40min. If you are able to tell me an idiot guide it would be really appreciated as I'm going to start boiling it today. Thanks again.

So basically "@ xxx" is at what time the hops are added to the boil.

Think of it as a countdown, so for the above,

When the boil starts, your 90min timer starts
When your timer is "@" 80mins (ie 80 mins left) the first addition would go in and so on until all your hops have been added and your boil is complete.

Good luck with the brew and let us know how you get on.

So basically "@ xxx" is at what time the hops are added to the boil.

Think of it as a countdown, so for the above,

When the boil starts, your 90min timer starts
When your timer is "@" 80mins (ie 80 mins left) the first addition would go in and so on until all your hops have been added and your boil is complete.

Good luck with the brew and let us know how you get on.
Thanks very much this is very useful, could you tell me two more things please, do the Hops come out or stay in within it's bag And also what does FoxBat mean by "enough again at the start of the boil to get your IBU to about 35."

Quite excited to be honest, in fact I've just sterilised by boiler all ready to go.. If I knew what I was doing haha.

Technically without pasteurisation what we're brewing is a Kellerbier and is supposed to be hazy however with fining and kegging I find I get clarity that my wife agrees she can't tell apart from a commercial pint.

And also what does FoxBat mean by "enough again at the start of the boil to get your IBU to about 35."

Hops at the start of the boil contribute bitterness in proportion to the % Alpha Acid (AA) that you can see printed on the pack. Luckily with Saaz it'll be quite low, like 3% to 5% so you'd find it difficult to produce something mouth-puckeringly undrinkably bitter.

Before you start warming up your kit you really should enter your recipe into an online recipe-builder to check that what you're likely to get is what you want to get otherwise you could easily waste an afternoon's work and a month's waiting.

Brewer's friend have a recipe builder here. Personally I use Beersmith but loads of people here use BF and will be able to help you get a recipe that works.

Has anybody had any experience in filtering beer?

I imagine if you have a corny keg setup it is relatively easy to do, but Iā€™ve never tried it myself. I would have thought, though, that if crystal clear clarity is very important (understandable if the product is for people accustomed to pub-style lager) a 1 or 0.5 micron filter is a guarantee to clear beer?

I would be interested to try it myself sometime, probably for this very style.
I have a 1 micron filter system it can be used on corny set ups or by swapping the tubing I have used mine off of the tap on my fv bought it to deal with a lager kit I couldn't get the yeast to drop out of suspension. It was useless. For protein matter and hops worked really well though

Technically without pasteurisation what we're brewing is a Kellerbier and is supposed to be hazy however with fining and kegging I find I get clarity that my wife agrees she can't tell apart from a commercial pint.

Hops at the start of the boil contribute bitterness in proportion to the % Alpha Acid (AA) that you can see printed on the pack. Luckily with Saaz it'll be quite low, like 3% to 5% so you'd find it difficult to produce something mouth-puckeringly undrinkably bitter.

Before you start warming up your kit you really should enter your recipe into an online recipe-builder to check that what you're likely to get is what you want to get otherwise you could easily waste an afternoon's work and a month's waiting.

Brewer's friend have a recipe builder here. Personally I use Beersmith but loads of people here use BF and will be able to help you get a recipe that works.
Thank you for the reply, that is really useful I will have a look on there now, sorry for wasting your time with silly questions also.

I have a 1 micron filter system it can be used on corny set ups or by swapping the tubing I have used mine off of the tap on my fv bought it to deal with a lager kit I couldn't get the yeast to drop out of suspension. It was useless. For protein matter and hops worked really well though
I wonder if a 0.5 micron would scrub out the yeast? I think the filter size is a compromise between clear beer and stripping out flavours. Interesting (sorry for jumping on the thread)! :D

Thank you for the reply, that is really useful I will have a look on there now, sorry for wasting your time with silly questions also.

No silly questions, best way to learn imo. Everyone was in your boat at one point!

Latest posts

Back