Daily stirring for aeration?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbslaw

Reaction score
Hello there. First time poster; please be gentle!
I've been brewing from kits successfully for a few months now and started a Yorkshire Terrier kit last week. The instructions say to aerate the wort daily during fermentation, by stirring. I've never stirred any of the other kits I've done once fermentation had got going (apart from one, which got 'stuck' during winter) and having searched through some other posts on this forum I'm getting the impression this isn't recommended. I did give it one stir on day 3, but I may leave it now - it's still bubbling slowly away.
Any thoughts on this instruction? Do you think I'm right to leave it be?
Advice gratefully received.
Cheers

Just so you know once the brew is fermenting adding air/oxygen will be a bad thing so when/if stirring avoid splashing .

Stirring for aeration is a nono as per other posts. What you can do is gently shake the DJ without getting air into the brew, or you can use a long spoon or paddle but make sure it is gentle, this will move the yeast about and help it to do its job

A lot of aeration before fermentation, nothing afterwards. Introducing oxygen after fermentation has started can degrade the long term potential of the beer. It can make it stale quicker giving it a papery/cardboard sort of taste.

Thanks for your replies! I think I'll leave it to do its thing without disturbance.
Anybody got any ideas why this potentially negative/destructive instruction was included on the kit?
Cheers

Some true top-working yeasts can be aerobic rather than anaerobic - that means that they need O2 to work well. This means they will need rousing on a regular basis, and will multiply a lot more than standard ale yeast leaving more trub in the bottom of the vessle.

I believe the "Yorkshire Square" fermenting vessles were created for this sort of yeast - Black Sheep brewery still use them, which pumps the beer back over the top of the yeast, mixing it (and presumably air) back into the wort.
http://www.blacksheepbrewery.com/brewing-process/

However, if it seems to be going ok and the SG is dropping, I'd leave it be. Only if it slows or stops give it a stir...

Latest posts

Back