Dandelion & Burdock

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok guys bottled both experiments last night and tasted them as well, the one made with the D&B fizzy pop was pretty tasteless although you could just Taste the D&B, I think maybe do it with apple juice or 2 bottles of D&B instead of 3litres of water, but it might taste better when left in the bottle to fizz up.
Now the experiment made with the roots, tasted nothing and i mean nothing like D&B it was a strange that i cant really describe not unpleasant but more like a beer if im honest, the aftertaste was clean/dry/crisp I would liken it to my Berire de grand all grain beer. So it could turn out to be a D&B beer that taste nothing like D&B. I will update after they have both been in the bottles for a while.

This is a beer recipe, the part in bold would put me off making a wine version even if you could replicate the original version.

Scrub and finely slice the burdock and dandelion roots.

Put them in a large pan, pour on 2.5 litres boiling water and add the carragheen.

Boil for half an hour; experience the aroma of an unpromising vegetable stew.

Take off the heat, add 2 litres cold water, the sugar, treacle and lemon juice and stir until the sugar has dissolved.

Strain the liquid into a clean fermenting bucket, cover and leave to cool.

When your brew reaches room temperature, pitch the yeast.

Cover and leave to ferment for up to a week, until the specific gravity is down to 1010.

If you want to be safe, carefully siphon into strong swing-top bottles at this point.

The flavour of dandelion and burdock seems to follow a bell curve of: too sweet, horrible, really rather nice, horrible, poisonous " with the 'quite nice' occurring at the 3"4 week point and extendable by keeping it in the fridge.

The flavour is mildly bitter and pleasantly aromatic.

You can get hold of burdock seeds easily enough - the wife grows it in the garden as it's used in Japanese cooking (and very tasty it is too!).

This is a beer recipe, the part in bold would put me off making a wine version even if you could replicate the original version.

I was thinking of doing that recipe but with a mix of dark and pale malt so should turn out like a real D&B beer

so after being in the bottle for a little while (i know not long enough) i cracked one of each open last night the D&B made with the fizzy pop was fizzy a taste less fizz with the slight flat D&B after taste this might improve with time.
the One made with roots was awful not that fizzy (due to my impatience) but had a mouthful, straight down the sink not got much hope for this.

so after being in the bottle for a little while (i know not long enough) i cracked one of each open last night the D&B made with the fizzy pop was fizzy a taste less fizz with the slight flat D&B after taste this might improve with time.
the One made with roots was awful not that fizzy (due to my impatience) but had a mouthful, straight down the sink not got much hope for this.

Can't "Like" the Post because I too had great hopes for this recipe! :thumb:

What a shame! :-o

So a further update, They have been in the fridge for nearly a month now, had a little taster D&B made with the fizzy pop is pritty tasteless but drinkable I wanted the D&B flavour to hit me, but it dosent maybe use 2 bottle or some apple juice, the D&B made with roots has improved but again does not taste anything like D&B maybe more roots required and the star anise left in for fermentation would of been better. So disappointment on these, I will stick to hoopers alcoholic D&B in future.

Also a big bummer for me. I searched high and low, and in some very muddy conditions in my attempt to forage some burdock root. But to no avail :-( everything looked to much like it's poisonous look alike. :-(

Wonder if you can buy the syrup they make it with?

What about boiling a bottle of D&B right down to a syrup and add that to the first recipe? After all its not 100% D&B so boil off the excess which had result I'm a strong syrup,

I have found this could the juice be used to make a D&B juice wine?

db-recipe.gif

So we just bulk up the sugar and ferment this? I was thinking more, contact the manufacturing plant and ask if I/we can have some. Or a local pub of course.

I was thinking more along the lines of make it to to the recipe then add one part syrup to three parts water (as the last line says) to make it the basic juice to start the wine with, maybe a litre of it and a litre of white grape juice then the usual ingredients in the juice wine video.

Latest posts

Back