Dangaarden (hoegaarden kit clone attempt)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandan

Regular.
Reaction score
After posting This post have decided to try this:
Dangarrden
dangaarden2.jpg

Volume:20L

DSC_1465.jpg

Ingredients:

1 can Youngs Brew Buddy Lager 1.8kg

10 2L Tescos Water

1kg Dry Wheat Spray Malt

15g Styrian Golding Hops(15 min)

15g Saaz Hops(5min)

200g Brewers Sugar

1/2 teaspoon Coriander seed (Lightly Crushed)

15g Bitter Orange Peel (Curacua)

2 Pkt of Danstar Munich Yeast

Original Gravity: 1047 @ 26oc

Method:

I used our Ikea stock pot to dissolve the 1 kg of DWSM and the 50g Sugar in 3 litres of water then bring it to boil.
DSC_1472.jpg

Then I add coriander seed, orange peel and Striyan Golding hops. Boiled for 10 minutes.
After the 10 min I added the Saaz hops into pot, and boiled everything for a further 5 minutes.
Then I turned off the hob and remove all hops, seeds and peel (these for simplicity were in muslin bags) from pot.
DSC_1475.jpg

Then I added the beer kit into pot and stirred in. After this I Transfer to fermenting bucket and topped up to the up 20 litres mark with the bottled water. I then waited till the wort got to pitching temperature took the OG (1047 @ 26oc) and pitched the yeast .
DSC_1476.jpg

And here it is at 8pm!!
P6130293.jpg

Nice one DanDan - I hope it turns out to be a belter :thumb: I'll be watching with interest.

I've had to use muddydisco's advice about shampoo catcher! i've used some tubing from the bung in the lid to a plasitc demi-john filled with water to act as a carpet shampoo catcher! the fermentation is off to a flyer!! its about 1cm off the top of the bucket, looks like one BIG GLASS OF HOEGAARDEN i wanna drink it now!!!!!!! :grin:

dd, well worth emptying and refilling the blow off bottle daily, to prevent infections travelling up the blow off tube....worse case. When fermentation subsides put some sanitiser in the blow off tube bottle...just to make sure :thumb:
If you intend to move the fv make sure to lift the blow off tube proud of the water/sanitising solution, otherwise it may get drawn into the fv.....don't ask how I know :roll:

Vossy1 said:
dd, well worth emptying and refilling the blow off bottle daily, to prevent infections travelling up the blow off tube....worse case. When fermentation subsides put some sanitiser in the blow off tube bottle...just to make sure :thumb:
If you intend to move the fv make sure to lift the blow off tube proud of the water/sanitising solution, otherwise it may get drawn into the fv.....don't ask how I know :roll:

Cheers V1, I put a campden tab in the blow off bottle the first day, Didn't change it sunday :whistle:, but changed the water yesterday, now its calmed down and the foamy stuff is dying back i've put the airlock on!

Can't wait til its ready to sample!!! :cheers: :cheers:

Its bottled, manage to get 40 bottles of various sizes! Its looking slightly darker golden colour than a Hoegaarden but smells good!! and tastes good! better in a few weeks I suspect!!

DSC_1515.jpg

Sampling a bottle tonight, it smells more citrusy than hoegaarden, its slightly darker golden colour than hoegaarden, BUT it does taste quite like hoegaarden, the head retention is also good! could do with another week or two in the bottle but its drinkable now! :party:

Back