Dark Rock Riwaka Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recently brewed the DR Riwaka PA and noticed a slight banana/pear drop tinge to it, if anyone has also done this one did you get the same result? It's still drinkable but not to my taste preference.

Just done one of my regular Riwaka Pale Ale recipes and it's tasting pretty good. No hint of banana/pear drop. What yeast did you use and what temp did you ferment at?

I used SO5 and controlled temp at around 19 degrees C. I didn't dry hop this time, just a hopstand/whirlpool, but have in the past and Banana/pear drop is not a flavour profile I've ever had with this particular Riwaka PA recipe.

Sounds like a diacetyl taste.
I had this with an English Ale where I mucked about trying to control the temperature using a heat mat under the FV.
Not entirely sure if that was the cause, but since I’ve just left the FV alone, I’ve not had the issue.

I used the yeast that came with the kit and brewed at a controlled 22c for 10 days and dry hopped the last two, oddly the SG was only 1038, it should have been around 1050 according to the kit instructions. I'll put this down to a failed brew and move on. I have a Get Er Brewed foundation kit next.

I don't think it’s diacetyl as that imparts a butterscotch/dairy flavour I believe and not a banana/pear drop.

Certain Yeast can sometimes give a banana flavour might be desirable in certain beer styles, but in this case I suspect it’s not a desirable flavour and therefore an off flavour. Ageing the beer for a few weeks might suppress the flavour you'll be good.

Back