dead yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muggy

Reaction score
hi all. big mistake. i thought id insulate my fermenting bucket to bring the temp up a little.....you know whats coming. checked temp last night and was 35 degrees. no wonder it had stopped bubbling away. i was just over half way through fermenting when i did this and i know ive killed the yeast. so can i add new yeast and nutrient to get her going again? thank you for your time. cheers muggy

The only beer i have ever ruined,properly ruined was by fermenting too hot,my shed was 30 degrees, i fear for your brew mate.
Someone with more experience may say different

hi all. big mistake. i thought id insulate my fermenting bucket to bring the temp up a little.....you know whats coming. checked temp last night and was 35 degrees. no wonder it had stopped bubbling away. i was just over half way through fermenting when i did this and i know ive killed the yeast. so can i add new yeast and nutrient to get her going again? thank you for your time. cheers muggy
You have nothing to lose by adding fresh yeast (other than the cost of the yeast) so go for it! If it turns out OK then you haven't wasted anything.

ive just put a little of my wine into a glass. added a very small amount of yeast and nutrient to it then covered with cling film. within minutes the cling film was bulging. so looks like it can be saved. will add new when i get home from work to fermenting bucket. ..fingers crossed

I've done a wine and left it to ferment too hot. I ended up with undrinkable wine. It created some really strong esters and alcohol that smell like nail polish remover.

saved it....bubbling away nicely again now. new yeast done the trick. smells ok too. hope its drinkable. thanks all muggy

saved it....bubbling away nicely again now. new yeast done the trick. smells ok too. hope its drinkable. thanks all muggy

What re-start yeast did you use? I often put yeast in a fairly hot dj haven't had any die yet, talking 50c sometimes, try to use yeast that has a high temp' tolerance upto 35c airing cupboards and boiler rooms aren't the best place as fermentation is too fast, better being colder.

i had a cellar 7 origanally with the yeast it came with but after i killed it, bringing the temperature back down to 22 degrees i used wilko express compound yeast. hopefully mixing the yeast even tho one is dead wont cause a problem? you would know more.

Latest posts

Back