Delayed start

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomR

Reaction score
Hi I did my first mash on Sunday. Pitched the yeast on Sunday afternoon. Nothing had happened by Monday morning so pitched another batch of yeast yesterday teatime. Last night still nothing. I've just noticed the beginnings of a ferment this morning. The temp is 20c. What's the likelihood of the beer being spoilt with a delayed start?
The yeast I used was from the brewing company came in a bag which you hit to mix the yeast and the liquid nutrient.

Sounds like a Wyeast Smack Pack. A delayed start is normal for a liquid yeast that's not fresh because the cell count deteriorates over time and many people make a starter before pitching to help it get off to a good healthy start in the beer.

Your beer's fine.

Yes it was wyeast. I wouldnt mind but i was thinking of doing a starter but read the pack and it looked like it would work without.
The fact I've put so much in shouldn't effect the end product?

Ideally you should have made a stater for a smakpak despite saying you dont need to. This is only really for American customers who can get the yeast from the yeast lab to their door very quickly. For us in the UK, from the yeast lab to your door can take quite a bit of time and you dont know how it's been handled in the mean time. So making a stater is a good insurance policy
Only waiting from sunday arvo to monday morn to see if anything is happening is far too soon. I wouldnt have pitched a second yeast until I hadnt seen anything for 3 days. Having said that you're beer will be fine having pitched a two lots of yeast

Thanks.
As a follow up could you recommend a good yeast for an ipa and something like Batemans xxxb type beers?

For an IPA you want something clean if your making an American one. US-05 is a 'classic' but there's loads of clean dried yeasts you could use such as BRY-97, Mangrove Jacks M44 or cross my loof US pale.
For Batemans xxx you want something English. Ideally you want a liquid yeast as there not many dried yeast that are up to the job for English styles but Mangrove jacks Liberty Bell gets good reviews. You could also use S0-4 as it's a dried derivative of a classic English strain (Whitbread B) but it seems to be a bit of a marmite yeast as some people absolutely hate it and others love it and put it in everything they make
You can pick up all of the above on Ebay if you havent got an order pending

It's not unheard of for it to take 48 hours for wort to show signs of fermentation. You've jumped the gun a bit adding more yeast so soon - it won't hurt your beer, but it will hurt your pocket if you do it every time!

For an IPA you want something clean if your making an American one. US-05 is a 'classic' but there's loads of clean dried yeasts you could use such as BRY-97, Mangrove Jacks M44 or cross my loof US pale.
For Batemans xxx you want something English. Ideally you want a liquid yeast as there not many dried yeast that are up to the job for English styles but Mangrove jacks Liberty Bell gets good reviews. You could also use S0-4 as it's a dried derivative of a classic English strain (Whitbread B) but it seems to be a bit of a marmite yeast as some people absolutely hate it and others love it and put it in everything they make
You can pick up all of the above on Ebay if you havent got an order pending
Mangrove jacks yeast purchased

For a Bateman's xxb type of beer using MJ liberty Bell yeast, I would recommend fermenting at the top end of the yeasts temperature range, around 22/23 degrees to get the fruity yeast tastes in the beer. You won't get that Bateman's taste; they use their own yeast and open Yorkshire square fermenters which plays a large part in xxb's amazing taste, but it will help.

Although I mosty use the Gales strain for my English beers, I do what jjsh suggests and ferment at the top end of the yeasts fermentation range to get all those lovely esters going

Latest posts

Back