Did I do right with 2nd brew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morebeer

Reaction score
I had a good 2nd brew day last Saturday and following on from a recent one day brewing course followed the advice of Paul Taylor from Murphys Home Brew. The past week went so.... I did Old Speckled Hen, preboil was 1034, postboil hit target at 1050. I transfered it to the 2nd FV after 4 days, reading was 1018 and added auxiliary finings and islinglase at that time. Then yesterday bottled 45 bottles. The final reading at bottling was 1014 and I did not add anything else..... Which is what Paul recommends, stating that there is still sufficient to carry out carbonisation. I hope I did right because it tasted like beer all-be-it flat beer.

Can't wait to try it in a months time.
:cheers:

I'm surprised that you added all of your finings prior to bottling (normally finings are only used when you plants keg the beer).

You want to transfer some healthy yeast into the bottles to allow the conditioning to take place however using isinglas at this stage will have removed a lot of the yeast. However it's very difficult to remove all the yeast so you might find that you still get the appropriate condition. If you find it's a bit flat then you will have to wait a bit longer to allow the conditioning to happen.

Oh Dear..... Sounds like I cocked up again? I also followed this process with my 1st brew!

Is there anyway I can salvage my brew :hmm:

I don't want to have to wait longer for something that may not happen...... What to do next?

well do you know what % your yeast attenuation is ? The only way to bottle as you've done is to know the expected final gravity and to bottle before this finishes and if you get it wrong ,bottle bombs or flat beer . Most let the beer finish fermenting (which is needed to be at least a few days longer than finish of ferment to allow the yeast to clean up any butterscotch flavours etc) then batch prime with a set amount to get a measured amount of c02 in your brew .

The expected final gravity is supposed to be 1008.

I have just had a thought. :wha: .... The 1st brew I put a carbonisation drop in each bottle. Could I not open each bottle and drop in the same and re-seal wit a new cap? :hmm:

ok well i wouldn't do that incase you end up with way too much foam , you need to keep em warm (20c if poss) 2 weeks , after 1 week try a bottle you should get some fizz , maybe great fizz. If flat as a witches t+t then yes open and prime them and warmth for 2 weeks etc .

Pittsy.....Ok that sounds like good advice. I did return all bottles to my beer fridge straight after bottling with the intension they would stay there for 7 days, which is set between 20 -21c. Then remove and drop them to celler temp... 10-12c..... but I will crack a bottle next weekend and look for indications of fizz and decide then.

Thanks again. :cheers: :clap:

Latest posts

Back