Didn't add sugar to Coopers Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fleximous

Reaction score
Hello,

Two days ago I kicked off a brew, which was the Coopers orginal stout.

I was reading some posts on this beer and could see people were adding a mixture of different sugars and then I realised I have not added any!

After finding the instructions online as I think I have binned mine I can see the instructions do say about adding the sugar...

http://www.coopers.com.au/static/media/uploads/orig_-under_lid_instructions.pdf

The brew has been left for 2 days and it does look like it has been fermenting, so what shall I do... add the brewing sugar now? How much should I add? What is the damage of adding it two days late?

Ok, I started adding the brewing sugar and it aburpted like a volcano!

I have poured out some of the beer out and then put about 700g of sugar in. It tasted OK at the moment, so hopefully it'll be Ok!

I think it will be fine adding the suggested amount after 2 days.

The trouble is that it will have a lot of CO2 dissolved in the fermenting wort and adding dry sugar will un-dissolve much of this CO2, which is what it sounds like.

I think the instructions say 1kg brewing sugar, but if you look at the 400 odd posts on the Beer Kit Review section, many have added much more fermentables - usually DME as well - and had great results.

So no worries.:thumb:

Latest posts

Back