Digiboil BIAB advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clogger30

Reaction score
Hi. I'm thinking about moving on from beer kits to partial/grain. Budget is tight and I was wondering if anyone has used the Digiboil successfully.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I used to do partial using just a stockpot on the cooker.
2 gallon stockpot, 1.5kg base malt & then add a up to 2kg DME & water when transferring to fermenting vessel.
So you don't need an expensive set up to make decent beer, but you will need a bit of practice to make something you are happy with.

I did this for years, but a few weeks ago the Mrs got me a boiler for my birthday.I don't expect my first few of brews to be that great as I learn how best to use it 😄

Hi. I'm thinking about moving on from beer kits to partial/grain. Budget is tight and I was wondering if anyone has used the Digiboil successfully.
Thanks
I use a 35 Litre digiboil for BIAB. Its decent. Mine leaks a wee bit because I dropped it once.... I do think id like to add a pump. Keeping heat even isnt easy but I guess thats common to any pumpless system. Im afraid I cant compare to anyrhing else tbh, but I have made loads of batches and I dont think doing it this way is any hindrance to the quality at all.

Thanks
I have this boiler, so far I've done 3 brews and each has been great. Two were half brews and the third around 20l for the boil. I also BIAB and haven't worried about temp differences, just stir the mash every 20 mins, works fine for me. My efficiency was higher than expected when first using this which impressed me. I do a mash with half required water, drain it to a bucket and heat remaining water in the boiler for the sparge. I then add the grain sack back in for a 20 min stew then remove bag with a good squeeze. Add first wort back in and boil away. I also bought a hop spider which has been great. Good luck.

I have this boiler, so far I've done 3 brews and each has been great. Two were half brews and the third around 20l for the boil. I also BIAB and haven't worried about temp differences, just stir the mash every 20 mins, works fine for me. My efficiency was higher than expected when first using this which impressed me. I do a mash with half required water, drain it to a bucket and heat remaining water in the boiler for the sparge. I then add the grain sack back in for a 20 min stew then remove bag with a good squeeze. Add first wort back in and boil away. I also bought a hop spider which has been great. Good luck.
You could try doing a full mash as this would transferring wort and heating sparge water containing all in the boiler as it is a 35l boiler and there certainly should be the room as I can do in a brewzilla which has the same dimensions...

You could try doing a full mash as this would transferring wort and heating sparge water containing all in the boiler as it is a 35l boiler and there certainly should be the room as I can do in a brewzilla which has the same dimensions...
I take it you are suggesting using the full water requirement for the beer in the mash and then not doing a sparge? I haven't tried this approach....I guess it would save time but reduce my efficiency? Is this the method you use? I ended up using my method after reading the thread on simple AG brewing (set-up for stove top brewing) and sort of followed that. I don't have a way to recirculate the mash water at the moment (I suppose I could do it manually at times). Cheers.

I take it you are suggesting using the full water requirement for the beer in the mash and then not doing a sparge? I haven't tried this approach....I guess it would save time but reduce my efficiency? Is this the method you use? I ended up using my method after reading the thread on simple AG brewing (set-up for stove top brewing) and sort of followed that. I don't have a way to recirculate the mash water at the moment (I suppose I could do it manually at times). Cheers.
I Biab. You should be able to get 75% efficiency without to much trouble without a sparge.

You may not affect your efficiency and if so just increase your grain to compensate though it certainly will save you time

Works great for me, and there is an upgrade kit for it which gives you the basket that you get with the Brewzilla. Essentially turns it into the Brewzilla minus a pump. Brilliant piece of kit.

Thanks for your posts/advice.
I've not seen an upgrade kit. I was looking at Angel Home brew. Is there somewhere else I've missed?

Thanks for your posts/advice.
I've not seen an upgrade kit. I was looking at Angel Home brew. Is there somewhere else I've missed?
Brewkegtap are taking preorders currently for the upgrade kit with the hope for delivery in September.

Think I'll get one and do some partial grain brews to get used to it, and then advance from there.
Thanks all

Thanks
I was nearly buying a digiboil until I found out about the Klarstein Maischfest. Same idea, comes with the grain basket too. Bought mines on HifiTower as a grade B item at about £120-ish. Delivered with zero visible damage. Could be another option for you.

Back