"dilute" 2 gallons into 4 gallons?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatline-uk

Reaction score
Hi all,

I started a gooseberry wine a couple of weeks ago where the recipe called for 1.3kg of gooseberries per gallon.
Well, I had 6 kg of gooseberries in my freezer and a 10ltr fermenting bucket and went ahead making the 2 gallons but with the 6kg of fruit.

What I am now wondering is, seeing as there is more than enough fruit content for 4 gallons can I add another 2kg of sugar and top up with water to make 4 gallons without too much issue?

Will it dilute the flavour too much?

Hi flat line
I have absolutely NO experience with wine making, and can't stand gooseberries. My best experience with gberries is someone stealing them from my dad's allotment so mum couldn't make pies with the m (it wasn't me! Honest)

Have a look at this thread until some more learned members come along

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/can-i-brew-an-ag-recipe-in-2-to-3-stages.102399/

At a guess from a totally uninformed view, I'd say, "yes, probably".

Yes you can dilute it. You will need to add some sugar. But without a bit more info I can't do the math.

What was the starating sugar content? Brix or sg will do.

Did you add water to get to 2 gallon or is that just juice?

Yes you can dilute it. You will need to add some sugar. But without a bit more info I can't do the math.

What was the starating sugar content? Brix or sg will do.

Did you add water to get to 2 gallon or is that just juice?
I didn't get an sg. Honestly I had no idea how to take an effective sg with the crushed fruit in there.
But yes I topped up with water to 10 litres and added approx 2.2kg of sugar

Hi flat line
I have absolutely NO experience with wine making, and can't stand gooseberries. My best experience with gberries is someone stealing them from my dad's allotment so mum couldn't make pies with the m (it wasn't me! Honest)

Have a look at this thread until some more learned members come along

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/can-i-brew-an-ag-recipe-in-2-to-3-stages.102399/

At a guess from a totally uninformed view, I'd say, "yes, probably".
I'm not a fan of gooseberries either. But I've had success with gooseberry and elderflower before and was quite tasty.

I'm not a fan of gooseberries either. But I've had success with gooseberry and elderflower before and was quite tasty.
I'll take your word for it, I have absolutely NO intention of trying it out. However, I do like elderflower tonic in my gin acheers.

Latest posts

Back