Diluted chemsan in wort

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkhouse

Regular.
Reaction score
Carnforth, sleepy old town in the northwest
Hi, before I pump and send my wort through a plate chiller and into my fv I always send diluted chemsan from the HLT and though the hoses, pump and plate chiller.
Now I always remove the hoses and shake out the chemsan and tip chemsan out of the chiller but the last time I brewed some of this chemsan must have eluded me and it was pumped into the fv and followed straight after with the chilled wort, all 25 litres of it.
It never really occurred to me that this could be harmful and it’s been fermenting away nicely for the past week.
Do others have similar issues with getting diluted no rinse sanitizer into the wort? Does the yeast just eat it? I heard that starsan is basically safe to just drink if it’s diluted but not sure regarding chemsan. I seem to be stressing myself out about this but logically I’m sure this has happened on numerous occasions on my brewdays. 🤷‍♂️

From Brew2Bottle:

ChemSan No Rinse Sanitiser is an ideal replacement for StarSan in the UK, very similar in composition that does exactly the same job. A blend of phosphoric acid, benzenesulfonic acid and isopropanol.

In short, it does no harm.

The stuff in Starsan breaks down into yeast nutrient, so it's beneficial to the fermenting wort.
There is enough impirical evidence to show that you can't taste it as well. Various people have ended up with a litre or a gallon in their beer and it's turned out fine. I think that Brulosophy may have even done an experiment where they dumped a load of starsan into the fermenter on purpose (I can't quite remember on this last one).

From Brew2Bottle:

In short, it does no harm.

The stuff in Starsan breaks down into yeast nutrient, so it's beneficial to the fermenting wort.
There is enough impirical evidence to show that you can't taste it as well. Various people have ended up with a litre or a gallon in their beer and it's turned out fine. I think that Brulosophy may have even done an experiment where they dumped a load of starsan into the fermenter on purpose (I can't quite remember on this last one).

You're correct - they added c3l of starsan foam into one fermenter and the majority couldn't differentiate the two beers - exBEERiment | Impact Star San Foam Has On A Pale Lager

I think it's good practice to try and avoid, but isn't the end of the world if it happens.

Latest posts

Back