Diluting wort with water cooled overnight

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidgrace

Reaction score
I am going to cool my next brew overnight to avoid using the chiller. I also plan to cool one or two litres of boiled water in a sealed fermentation bucket to use when diluting the wort to gain the right OG level. The question is, will that water be “safe” to use in the wort or should I boil fresh water?

Last edited:
It'll be fine. Many kits just say to dilute with tap water anyway.

You're not aiming for complete sterilisation, just reduction in bugs to a manageable level that the yeast will dominate.

Interested in why you say that? I always no chill throughout the year and did four brews during the summer this year with no issues.
I had many failed brews during the summer when allowing the wort to cool overnight. Back in 2014 I made an immersion chiller and in 8 years I have had only one spoiled brew when I did not chill.

I had many failed brews during the summer when allowing the wort to cool overnight. Back in 2014 I made an immersion chiller and in 8 years I have had only one spoiled brew when I did not chill.
Fair enough, I hope I continue to be lucky . I think the first thing I did was make a immersion chiller out of copper , ten years later I still haven't used it ;) then i got another with my brewzilla two years ago , that's still 'mint in the box'. I should give it a go and see if I notice any change ..one day

Just my experience I would never go back to no chill, but if it works for you ok. But why are there so many ways and devices to chill wort if it wasn’t necessary.

I understand that in hot and dry countries like Australia no chill is the norm. That is simply because people there have to be careful in their use of water. I might have been misinformed, but, at the moment, that is my understanding.

Back