Imerssion chillers vs other types

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely, it just depends upon what you want from your beer.

It's interesting how attitudes have changed on this. 10-15 years ago all keg beer was sparklingly clear. Now if I'm served a keg ale that's sparklingly clear I get a bit suspicious as it normally means it's from a macro producer.

if perfectly clear beer is important then I guess you have to go to such measures.
I just use proto/whirlfloc in the boiler and my beers are typically clear, even at current shed temperatures 🥶

I keep meaning to do a test brew without using it. Must admit that I've been putting off brewing at the moment, though, until the shed gets to something bearable, like 5 or 6c :laugh8:

It's interesting how attitudes have changed on this. 10-15 years ago all keg beer was sparklingly clear. Now if I'm served a keg ale that's sparklingly clear I get a bit suspicious as it normally means it's from a macro producer.
(Warning Warning, controversial opinon coming up alert.... ) Thats because there are a while raft of small cask producers now who should have stuck to banking. (Ducks :D)

(Warning Warning, controversial opinon coming up alert.... ) Thats because there are a while raft of small cask producers now who should have stuck to banking. (Ducks :D)
If they can't make cask beer clear at cellar temperatures I don't know what the brewer is doing with their time.

I was specifically talking about keg ale served at fridge temperatures.

My clarity ferm is commercial strength, it has varying recommended doses depending on gravity and also amount of hops.
I still use whirlfloc in the kettle and then biofine as my cold side finings.

Is it banned, or just not licensed to sell in EU?

Reading up on it Biofine Clear "is a purified colloidal solution of silicic acid", which sounds very similar to Brausol that is "Highly concentrated colloidal silica". So maybe there's not room in the market for an import from the US.

Back