Dirty Airlocks

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcscruff

Reaction score
I have had to throw away a few airlocks due to volcano like fermentation as i cant get them clean. Does anyone have any tips (i know they are only a pound each but it seems a waste

DO NOT put them in the dishwasher. They melt. You might be able to reshape them, you might not.

I've got some air locks over 15 yrs of age, no need to throw them away unless broken.
As said, give them a good soak overnight in oxy clean or thin bleach, they will come clean.

Try the tubular 'handy' airlocks, they come apart and you can wipe inside with a piece of cloth or kitchen roll wrapped around a stick or handle of a teaspoon. They are also quieter than the standard bubbler.

Those S shaped ones cost over 4 quid a pop where i live so i generally give mine a soak in a mild bleach solution rinse well with hot water to flush out any debris then sometimes i add a bit of videne solution to the airlock or just plain water.
:thumb:

Moley said:
Try the tubular 'handy' airlocks, they come apart and you can wipe inside with a piece of cloth or kitchen roll wrapped around a stick or handle of a teaspoon. They are also quieter than the standard bubbler.

but thats part of the best bit when I walk into the kitchen and hear them all buddle away :party:

I use baking soda or soda crystals to clean everything in my wine kit, works very well and its cheap.

Thanks to all. I did a bleech overnight soak and it worked a treat thanks :)

Back