DIY Challenge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Need some head space in the boiler? That's gonna displace wort? Just wondering, has the copper market gone **** ups? I like the idea, but it's overkill...

It's American - everything writ large! Still reckon I could do one for £50 - £60. But I don't need one, I don't need one, I don't need one.....I want one....

CFC chilling is by far the most efficient,

cos i opted for short tube lengths of thin walled (0.25mm) SS tubes to carry the beer this cost just over £100, could be built a lot cheper with copper...
15749826850_2fa7b40270_z.jpg

chills 70-80l down to pitching temps in 15-20mins

CFC chilling is by far the most efficient,

cos i opted for short tube lengths of thin walled (0.25mm) SS tubes to carry the beer this cost just over ��£100, could be built a lot cheper with copper...
15749826850_2fa7b40270_z.jpg

chills 70-80l down to pitching temps in 15-20mins

What the hell is that, Fil. A flux capacitor? :shock:

I have a cfc, very happy with how it chills. Just pointing out something out of the ordinary as far as immersion chillers go. My cfc (home made too, copper), I reckon all in £40. I don't think quantity affects time to chill as much as flow rate of both wort and water (and bore size of course). And then of course, for ease of use, cfc needs good housekeeping, immersion needs a quick wipe before and after use. Never used a plate chiller, so can't comment on those.

If the hydra figures are to be believed, it will chill 20 US gallons (nearly 76l) in around 12 minutes. So in terms of efficiency, pretty good when considered with what you get, in fact, on the face of it, better ;-)

What the hell is that, Fil. A flux capacitor? :shock:

thats what i call it myself at least ;).

straight tube cfc, so you can clean the tubes easily with a tube brush ;)
14 x 500mm lengths of 10mm x 0.25mm 316 ss tube.. coax wrapped round the tube in a spiral to maintain the somewhat flexible 1" id PVC tube at a distance from the SS tube, jubilee clips n bungs sealing up 22mm copper T peices soldered in pairs.

beer pumped by a 12v solar pump circa 2m in height, the water 1/2-3/4 mains pressure (roughly) depending on time of year/ground temps..

i kinda hoped i would get away with a shorter set up but early testing with 4 x then 8 x lengths indicated 14 x would be optimum..
9740806211_9c2346f2be_z.jpg

having seen the deposits dropped from another brewers plate chiller after an oven baking, and having an uncirtanty of any coilled tube cfc inner tube it seemed a good way to go..

Back