Handpump Beer Engine advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

Staff member
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a Hand pull beer engine, a second hand one with with a small cylinder as I do not use it more than once a week and do not want to waste too much beer.
Question 1 what are the best names that do the smaller 1/4 or 1/3rd cylinders
Question 2 I am going to use it with a 5 or 10 ltr collapsible bag so do I need a check valve or can i use the tap or a inline tap to turn it off so no back flow.
Question 3 does anybody know or advise where to look for one Fleabay ?

I have quite a few hand pulls modern'ish and vintage, none are larger than 1/3
Whilst a check valve is not required, some sort of shut off would probably help, ideally after the cylinder at the tap which I have on my vintage pulls. Before this I would basically wrap cling film around the swan neck, having to disconnect from the bag always results in beer loss.

I have a couple of Amgram 1/4 pint beer engines, one of which I have got working well off keg. Not sure about bags though as I haven't tried.
Got mine from a hotel that gave up serving cask, bought via FB marketplace.

There's an adapter that you can get that plugs into the holes in the bags or clips onto the bag tap.
Disconnecting the tap and pulling air through will deliver most of the beer in the line.
If the seals are good in the engine and you have the bag below the engine I don't think you need a non return valve.
Although a shutoff near the bag would make it easier for the disconnect and then pull air through stage.
@peebee treatise will explain how to use a beer engine and a cask, plus other info.

There are 120 rocking horses on the NZ ebay equivalent site and no beer engines for the last several months!!

So I have been watching youtube vids and what is the difference between a Harry Mason pump that is described as cylinderless and a typical hand pump from a pump is this the same pump they use in the 365 beer pump system as I have seen some Harry masons on Fleabay?

@RoomWithABrew:

Back at Christmas I was experimenting with getting beer out of kegs at virtually no pressure without a handpump. The handpump may have introduced features I didn't want (they do create "negative" pressure, or suction if you prefer 🙂 , as well as a good bit of turbulence). But the impeller of the solution might be causing CO2 breakout too? Reason: The pressure used (50mbar) will not lift the beer (mimicking a historic "ale" in this case) out of a less than full keg.

Might make the basis for a "handpump simulator" for the handpump deprived?

If you can figure anything out from the chaos behind my "bar"! The key components are those attached to the two (pin-lock!) disconnects.

(Offsite link! I.E: "Jim's, UK"): Ales and Beers (17th, 18th and a bit of 19th Century) - Page 6 - Home Brew Forum

Once I have found a suitable second hand one I will post what it is.
I am not sure the difference between a cylinderless type obviously it has not cylinder but not sure how it works.
I am going to use a collapsible bag and will probably keep it in a fridge between drinking then remove and allow to get to ambient ale temp for serving thats why I will use a collapsible bag as you can get them in small sizes to place in a fridge or that is the plan.
The collapsible bag should hopefully keep the beer longer as in theory no air will get in?

... I am not sure the difference between a cylinderless type obviously it has not cylinder but not sure how it works. ...
They don't "work"! They are a sham; for the undiscerning, mislead or easily fooled. Don't make the mistake or you may well end up regretting it.

... The collapsible bag should hopefully keep the beer longer as in theory no air will get in?
There is no "theory". Only the fact that polythene (MDPE, etc.) is permeable to gases (including oxygen!). But they will keep the beer for about three or four weeks. There are impermeable "laminated bags" (used for wine, juice, etc.) but people have had issues with them and beer that I'm not sure are fixed.

Thanks for the heads up PeeBee on the cylinderless pumps wondered how they worked/or not.
3 to 4 weeks will be long enough for me as I will be using a 10 litr max bags if not even smaller was just looking for a slightly extended use/keep rather than a true cask as they are too big for my drinking capacity athumb..

I'm just catching after being away this week - and keen to know what you settle on @the baron as this is on my to do list for this year too. The other question for me is how to keep it cold but not too cold without another fridge?

I have an insulated bag that I drop frozen water bottles in for when I’m serving outside.

Obvious solution would be get another fridge.

Mine’s an Angram bought from UK EB… love it. I did find a small frig, it was worth the effort. I can pull from 3 or 5g corny and there’s a 5# CO2 tank inside w propane regulator to save the ale w CO2 blanket.

Attachments

• Caskerator.jpeg
    Caskerator.jpeg
    40.2 KB · Views: 0
i have a 2 gal water tank in the frig with an aquarium pump that runs all the time so the jacket feature is working. I find that the temp in the frig needs to be set to about 44f for a pulled pint at 52f. I created the mount, it’s a box on a platform missing a couple sides. The beer and coolant lines run through a 2” hole in platform and top of frig.

Attachments

• box.jpeg
    box.jpeg
    54.2 KB · Views: 0
  • inside frig.jpeg
    inside frig.jpeg
    48.5 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back