Dme kit ..tasting 'thin'

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popspicker

Reaction score
More first brew doubts , sorry.
After a couple of setbacks with pressure and an unpleasant first tasting after 3 weeks,
I'm hoping to be on track after 5 weeks, the taste seems to be improving and pressure seems to be holding.
Someone in the know has had a taste and describes it, very well IMO, as thin.
He says I should have used more DME and less than the 1 kg of brewing sugar.
Is this anything that will improve with time, or am I stuck with this kind of 'thin' taste?

Relax, leave it for a couple more weeks or more and then drink it. In the meantime brew some more. Try a 2 can kit like Milestone or Woodfordes. you wont need any DME or sugar with these. :drink:

I agree.

I only did 1 or 2 one can kits till I saw the light of the 2 can kits.

More flavour, more body and more enjoyment.

Hopefully doing first AG batch this weekend sometime after testing the boiler.

If you like a maltier rather than hoppier brew try Woodfordes Norfolk Nog. Cracking pint!

Like it hoppier? then give Woodfordes Wherry a go.

+1 for give it time. :thumb:

I did a Muntons Smugglers brew and after 3 weeks in the keg it tasted foul, so bad I spat it out and thought the whole lot had gone off :shock: . 3 weeks later the taste had totally change and continued to improved. Cracking brew BTW.

Thanks Fender, Ninja and Edd

You guys really do keep me encouraged every time I hit a low.
It is greatly appreciated

Promise I'll be better when I've had a successful taste..Ar Ar ! :lol:

Popspicker said:
He says I should have used more DME and less than the 1 kg of brewing sugar.

I made the same mistake on my first couple of 1 can kits, now i use a mix of brewing sugar and spraymalt. With the Harvest bitter i've got fermenting at the mo i used 500grams of light spraymalt and 500grams of brewing sugar.

Popspicker said:
More first brew doubts , sorry.

No need to apologise that's what we're all here for :thumb: With regards to your brew i'm sure it'll come good in the end mate :cheers:

Don't get to disheartened popspicker it may improve intaste with time. However you are unlikely to improve the body of the beer though. The reason why you beer is a bit thin is as you have probably guesses the sugar.

Beer made from malt gets all its sugar from the malt during the mashing process when enzymes convert the starch to sugars. Some of the sugars will be unfermentable. These will give your beer body.

Cheaper kits don't have enough sugar in them so they require you to add it, unfortunately household sugar and for that matter brewers sugar is 100% fermentable so the beer is lacking essential unfermentables. This can be improved as others have suggested by adding spraymalt or better still trying one of the 2 can kits which don't need any additions.

Good luck and enjoy your beer, after all you made it.

Latest posts

Back