DME Question.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chevorelli

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to the game and I am going through the big book 'How to Brew' by Palmer.

The first section is a walk through guide on a brew day and the ingredients is asking for Pale Ale DME.
I'm finding that specific quite hard to find and I am unsure on how to look for it, or any substitutes if need be.

I have found Spray-Dried Malt Extract, Extra Light. Which is supposedly good for all beer types? is that a good choice?

I appreciate your time! :)

Tommy.

LME and DME comes in different colours. In the UK DME comes in Extra Light through to Extra Dark. The colour is made by tiny particles of crushed grain as far as I can determine, and the darker the DME the more likely you are to notice a flavour introduction, although this is small.
As a rule of thumb (and not surprisingly) extra light and light are good for light beers like lager, medium/amber for standard bitters and dark and extra dark for porters and stouts. However if you can only get extra light that may not a problem since you can always add speciality malts like crystal and chocolate malt to get the beer flavours and colour you are looking for.
And Brew2Bottle currently have range of DME and their P&P is very reasonable

Back