Do I need a carboy?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davyE

Reaction score
Hi all
I'm looking into doing a California connoisseur white zinfandel 30 bottle kit. This will be my first attempt at wine making and just need to know can I do it with the two fermentation buckets I have or do I need to buy a carboy as well?
Any help is greatly appreciated

you can use a normal Fv if you want I have used the same ones for beers and wines although they say it is not good practice and the red wines do tend to stain the FV's a bit but I have never had a problem, its your choice but should be fine

Ok sounds good. Don't want to be spending money on gear I don't really need.

As the Baron says get a 23 litre fermenting vessel (bucket with lid) i wouldn't want to move a glass carboy with 23 Kg of liquid inside and degassing would be a pain with the small neck.

One time, I brewed up one of those beer kits, 40 pints. Had to move it across the room and up onto a chair to siphon it. At the time it was fine, felt a bit stretched but fine.
Next day, I was literally stuck at like right angles. Couldn’t lift my back up for 2 days.
Had to take time of work. They were quite sympathetic though when I explained about the beer. Lol

Also I’m pretty sure it was a Woodfordes Wherry so it was legit worth it.

Ok that's good I'll not be getting the carboy then. The only reason I thought I needed one was because I watched a video on YouTube and the guy said it needed to be in a carboy for the clearing stage. But if not even better.

Hi all
I'm looking into doing a California connoisseur white zinfandel 30 bottle kit. This will be my first attempt at wine making and just need to know can I do it with the two fermentation buckets I have or do I need to buy a carboy as well?
Any help is greatly appreciated

couple of pointers, buckets are a lot easier to handle and move than glass carbouys , been there and broke that.

you might not know as a novice but a bucket ferment is better as it reduces the amount of held CO2 in the must, the co2 from ferment will seal the top and push the oxygen out, so its a win win set up. its only bad points is that the rim edge is not 100% gas tight and once the ferment stops and the pressure equalises it will allow oxygen to get back in

if you want to do large kits all you need is a big bucket and a big fermentor or five demijohns , which ever suits you best

Thanks for the advice. I'm just going to go for it and Hopefully it'll work out ok and keep the wife happy and well topped up so i can get few brews ready for the better weather coming back.

Latest posts

Back