Do I need cider apples

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chorne39

Reaction score
I've read on the internet that the best cider is made with cider apples. I'm struggling to get access to them so can I just use eaters and cookers?

that depends on what type of cider you're after, and whether you feel ok adding chemicals?

eaters and cookers are mostly too sweet (or not sharp enough) so you need to add malic acid and tannin.

there are plenty of suggestions in TC (Turbo Cider) threads, just look for any reply from Graysalchemy.

'Katy' is an eating apple, and yet you can make a very pallatable single variety cider with it, as has also been done with other 'eaters'.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not keen on adding additives so might look at the alternatives.

Cheers

You can get the balance using cookers, desert, and crab apples in equal quantities.

Personally one tsp of malic acid and one of grape tanin per gallon of apple juice will make a well balanced cider and if you manage to get malolactic fermentation going then you can make an acceptable scrumpy style cider as well.

To make real cider you should use cider apples there a 4 sorts bittersweet ,bittersharp, sweet and sharp most people who make cider use mainly bittersweet the others are added to make it to your pallet , the main varieties that make artisan cider is Kingston black ,dabinatt, johnney Andrews , 20lbs of apples will make 1gln of cider as for eaters and cookers us to make apple juice or tarts hope this helps :cheers:

That's all well and good if you live in cider country but for the rest of us we have to make the best of what we have got.

graysalchemy said:
That's all well and good if you live in cider country but for the rest of us we have to make the best of what we have got.
Agreed, I have 5 sorts and no idea as to the names. They are all a bit on the tart side but they'll all get used this year.

you can make cider from any apples you like, but the variety you use will alter the end flavour.

Kent Cider is traditionally made from eating apples, and has a distinct taste, completely different to that found in the west country.

If you want a cider that tastes different to that made from local sourced apples, you'll need to add a few chemicals.

it is all down to taste - some people like scrumpy, some people like a Normandy style Brut, or Demi Sec.

try it with just the apples and no chemicals and see if you like it, and then adjust the recipe to see if you like the alternatives.

no point drinking a scrumpy cider, if you don't like it, just because someone says that's how cider is supposed to taste.

This is will be my second year of cider making, and will be using any apples I can get my hands on. I've a couple of trees myself dessert and eaters, don't know the varieties, and will be getting apples from a few contacts I made last year. Last years' cider was very clean and quite dry, this I suppose is due to the type of apples I'm using. So try with the apples you can get your hands on, follow the basic rules and see what the end product tastes like. Happy brewing!!

this my third year of making cider i just get all the apples i can get works every time for me i was up to 181 ltr last year hoping to break that this year :cheers: :D :thumb:

ps all my apples are off freecycle adverts and trying not crash car when out looking for apple trees in gardens lol lol

I'm the same as blue brew and tazak, made cider from whatever apples I could get my hands on. Last years brew was really nice - better than most ciders you can buy from the shops.

I think in the absence of cider apples, using a variety helps. Throwing in some crab apples helps too. So I also risk crashing car by scanning hedgerows etc for crabbies!

Back