Do I stabilise home made wine?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenPowell

Reaction score
Hi all. I have made many kits and just fermenting a homemade strawberry wine. Now with the kits I add a stabiliser sachet and then clearing agents. So do I do this with this strawberry wine?
I have some clearing liquids but most of what I have read doesn’t mention using anything other than rack it, leave it and then drink it?

many thanks all.
ben.

It's down to personal choice, some people say they can taste it but I can't. I look at it as an extra protection for the wine against future infection, especially if a lower ABV.

It's down to personal choice, some people say they can taste it but I can't. I look at it as an extra protection for the wine against future infection, especially if a lower ABV.

To add to the above if you want to finish your wine fast then you will need to stabilise if you have no need to rush it leave until its finished fermenting fully rack then it'll clear and degas on its own.

Thanks all. It has slowed down a lot now and only bubbling through the airlock about once a minute. Will leave it a few days and then siphon off the good stuff and leave to do it’s thing again for a few weeks. Will just go natural and let it clear over the next few weeks. If I can wait. Will obviously have a little try when I take the pulpy stuff out!! Thanks.

Just strained out the berry mulch. Had a taste. Not bad. Quite sour right now. I guess I leave it back in the demijohn with an airlock in a warm ish place?
Thanks all.

Latest posts

Back